Anyone pay for someone to clean your house?

I am thinking about having someone come in to clean my house. I have never done this before so I have no clue how much a person would charge and what would be fair. I don't want a whole lot. No bedrooms or laundry. Maybe just once a week to sweep, mop, vaccuum and dust. I don't know maybe that is a lot. My house isn't that big maybe 1100 sq ft. So I am just curious what some of you guys pay or charge.

nurbabe82

Asked by nurbabe82 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• When I cleaned houses (when I lived in Colorado 3 years ago) I charged $12/hr. That was on the cheap side, most people were charging $15/hr, some as little as $8. Around here, I called three people and all of them were charging $20/hr.

Depends on where you live and whether you're using an individual or a service.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I pay $100 for a four bedroom house and they clean everything. No laundry though. They are here for about 4 hours. There's 2 of them.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Nope. But I do clean homes and offices. Look online and see what people are charging. And seriously, don't be afraid to fire someone if they aren't doing a good enough job.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• *By online I mean places like craigslist, or if you have local classifieds online.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Try Care.com to find a housekeeper
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My housekeeper charged $15/hr. It took her about 5 hrs to clean the whole house (not including laundry). I fired her though because I didn't feel like she did a good enough job for what she was getting paid and honestly couldn't figure out why it was taking her 5 hrs to clean the house when it takes me 3.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2011