Does your child/children play organized sports?

If so, which ones? What age(s) did they start? Are they in a "fun league" or a competitive or "traveling" team? Who decided which sport(s) to participate in--parents, child(ren), family tradition?

I was a serious competitive swimmer for over 20 years, starting when I was 6 through age 25 (Master's level), it was my life! I chose to focus solely on swimming after having tried a few years of gymnastics, ballet, and cheerleading. :o)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My daughter plays soccer started at 6 and has played rec and developmental. She does a rec swim team in the summer. We let her pick and encourage her as much as possible. She will be moving up soon but hope to get another year at the developmental level.
    mkula

Answer by mkula at 3:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My 3.5 year-old daughter is in gymnastics and just signed up for soccer! She wants to play soccer because Dora "plays" and she just loves gymnastics! She is pretty athletic for her age!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my kids both dance. daughter is working on her 3rd annual recital and son his 4th. They dance in the Summers too. We've done many other things (soccer, karate, t-ball, swimming) but nothing as consistent as dance. At the time it began 'cuz it was the only thing my toddler was old enough for, lol. Now it's 2nd nature. They look forward to each year progressing in classes, adding more styles (ballet, jazz, hip hop, tap, lyrical) and having longer classes, more adult music, and less babysish props/costumes, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my daughter is 2 and has been taking gymnastics since she was 14 months. She does it just for fun,stimulation, and exercise. I'll probably put her in dance in a year or so if she want to do it.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My 15 year old son plays travel hockey and baseball. He has since he was 4. Now he is on his vasity HS hockey team. My daughter (7) plays rec softball, basketball and tennis lessons. My 5 year old plays t ball and travel hockey.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my son started soccer this past summer (he was 5yo). now he is going to do indoor soccer with his little brother (3yo) in a couple of weeks. they both decided they wanted to try soccer. it was just for fun.....like learning how to play. they didn't compete or anything.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• 2 of my kids started soccer at the ages of 4. They have also played softball and baseball since then. I have a 14 year old boy who participates in football, wrestling and track at the middle level; 16 year old girl who plays volleyball and softball at the high school level and a 17 year old boy who plays basketball and track at the high school level.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• no, but we have discussed karate and dance
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 11:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My 14 yr old son has been in baseball since he was about 8. He does it for socialization because he has ADHD and has issues with getting along with kids his age and he is not very good in team situations. Baseball helps. He is in a league for 13-18 yr olds. Has been in both competetive and fun leagues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Children under 6 do best in individual pursuits. Over 6 they get lots of benefits from team activities. Kindy Gym and Play Gym are wonderful for toddlers as it helps them with balance, control, and position in space. All forms of dance, including folk and cultural dance activities are extremely beneficial at all ages as they link the learners to their personal and cultural identity. Very few people achieve a lifelong income from sport but some do. Think about what happens to Olympic athletes three months after their big events. Sport is a valuable part of life and deserves time. But do not go overboard. Start small. Support and encourage. Achieve a degree of life balance. Your children will know when to pitch for the big time themselves. If they do not feel it, then it is not for them. Remember that you get your life, not yours and theirs.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011