I am New at this Can anyone suggest a "Good Red Wine, Or Any Good wine(s)?

Also do you drink wine at mealtime, after a meal, or at any time for leisure and relaxing?

free1

Asked by free1 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Here's the thing about wine... there are sweet wines, and there are dry wines. The problem with choosing one is that the type of grape used to make it (Merlot, Chardonnay, Pinot, etc) has less to do with the sweetness than how it's made. Dry wines and dark reds are left with the grape skins on during the firmenting process, which leaves them bitter (but with tons of good antioxidents!). Sweet wines are firmented with the skins off for most of the process, which makes them light and sweet.

USUALLY white wines (wine made with green grapes) will be sweeter and lighter and red wines (made with red/purple/black grapes) will be heavier and more bitter. But there are exceptions. Some red wines are spiced with other fruits and are very sweet and mild. Zinfindels are usually a good bet if you want sweeter wines.

The best way to choose a good wine is to talk to a local vinyard and ask for suggestions.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would highly suggest going to a winery and sampling different kinds. I'm not a big wine drinker but I did find a local wine that I like by going and trying some. I usually just drink wine when I'm w/ friends occasionally.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I just bought a bottle of Barefoot- Sweet Red and I love it! It has the fruity kind of flavor without the huge oh-my-gosh-this-tastes-like-church-wine aftertaste.. Martin Ray Red is another great one.. I'm really not a big drinker and I'm usually giggly then sleepy after one glass, so unless I'm out on a special occasion dinner date I only drink before bed.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Try Layer Cake Shiraz, its reasonable under $15 , so if you don't like you can dump without guilt. just experiment. I also like Cupcake Shiraz.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i like our st james sweet red wine, i drink for leisure though
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My favorite red wine is Louis Jadot Pinot Noir.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 8:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Wines that I like may not be wines that you like. Start going to (free) wine tasting, and learn what you like.

http://www.localwineevents.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011