Cute/Creative/Inexpensive 1st Birthday Party Ideas

My son's 1st birthday it coming up in 2 months. I'm a planner and super organized so I like to start getting things done ahead of time. I'm doing a blue and lime green color scheme. I have all the paper goods bought (utensils, plates, cups) and I have balloons, table cloth and streamers to decorate with. I want more ideas for decorating and ideas for food though. I'm doing finger food (I plan on having the party around 2 pm). It's his 1st birthday so I want to have fun with it! Any ideas?

courtloux_128

Asked by courtloux_128 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do activity based goody bags. I have done bubbles,sidewalk chalk and crayons. Very inexpensive, especially from the dollar store.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 10:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• as far as finger food. my kids are 3 and 2 and they like those cocktail weiners in a blanket. like pigs in a blanket. for ds 1st bday we had mexican food cathered in but it was only the fixings for tacos. for dd i cooked squid dogs which is cut hotdogs with about 5 half of a pasta noddle pushed through them. boil till noodles are soft. both kids liked them. if u can find a bag of cheap little ballons blow all them up and let them lay all over the floor. so when he wakes up he sees a ton of ballons
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have another question. I want to do party favor bags but what the heck do you give a bunch of 1 years olds??? Can't give them candy or those little party favors you can buy by the pack. It's not safe.
    courtloux_128

Comment by courtloux_128 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We always do ants on a log for the little kids (big kids like them too). Little weinies in bbq sauce you can put in a crock pot and heat that way its very simple. Maybe add some cupcakes for decorations you can have fun with that. http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilton-Cupcake-Stands---New_W0QQitemZ150481727233QQcmdZViewItem

I always also get the little cut up glitter or what have you at Party city for around the table cloth and also do goody bags. At 1 yrs old depending on age you can always give away a small teddy )$1 at Dollar tree).

Answer by gemgem at 8:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• What is your budget? And what is your child's favorite toy or type of toy? It'll be easier to come up with answers with that information in mind.
    A friend of mine did jungle soaps you can use in the tub. I think tub toys would be a good one. Or, maybe cars. I know my son has been playing with the matchbox cars since before he turned 1...but on that one you might want to ask other parents their opinion since the matchbox car label says for children 3 and up.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 8:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• List
    hand made invitations
    cake
    one table cake thats the focus table entrance ballons curly ribbon dips. kids music by your boom boom
    keep it simple and colorful remember kids foods hot dog and for adul too have your camara check for chair and give plastic bags candy
    have some volonteers to serve . make some one dress like a clown and play games
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011