question for nursing Moms...

So our little guy is only 10 days old!! I have been waking him up to nurse every two hours during the day and every three hours in the evening! I was just curious how long I continue to wake him up to nurse every two hours for? When should I space his feedings out to every 3 hours during the day? I dont want to mess with my milk supply so should I wait until its closer to the time for me to go back to work? any advise would be great!

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never woken my children up. I feed them when they fuss and allow them to stop when they're full to want to sleep. Let the baby be your guide and you can't go wrong. I am currently breastfeeding my 4th child. She is 5 months old. She typically eats every 3 or 4 hours but some days she eats every hour for the heck of it. No worries. Trust your baby and your body.
    vanillachica

Answer by vanillachica at 9:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Never wake him! Let him sleep as long as he will!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Don't need to wake him he will wake when he is hungry. You and he need the sleep!!
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i always did on demand, as pp described. my first two kids woke up every 2 hours. my third woke up every 4 hours lol. i would just let him establish his own sleep pattern.....he'll wake up when he's hungry lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• the more relaxed u r and the more sleep u get the more milk u have. Going with the flow REALLY helps milk supply
    backontrack

Answer by backontrack at 9:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Aaahhh.. I woke my DD up every two hours and she didn't sleep through the night until she was almost 2! Next time around, I am NOT waking my sleeping baby.. s/he will wake when they're hungry and by goodness they'll let you know it! I always heard everyone say don't wake a sleeping baby and figured they were just uneducated about breastfeeding and that if I didn't wake her my milk would dry up or she'd have failure to thrive.. UGH, my ped. totally filled my head with a load of paranoia-inducing bologna.. If you feel like your supply will decrease, I'd suggest pumping and freezing it for when you go back to work..
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I never had to wake my son either. If you allow him to sleep and he goes past the 2-3 hours and you're getting full, you can always pump to give yourself some relief. Plus you can start a supply of stored milk and daddy can have a chance to fed him. But your body will adjust to what your baby is eating. its amazing that it knows how but it does.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 9:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You HAVE to wake him if he doesn't wake every few hours. They can have one 5 hour stretch a day and that's it, they NEED those calories! Not all babies will wake themselves up when they're hungry and not waking can lead to falure to thrive. Keep doing it. I was told by my doctor and my WIC office that once they hit 13 pounds you can stop waking them every 2 hours. I never had this problem with my daughter, but my son was so content and wouldn't ask to nurse that I had to wake him.

Don't stop until baby is at least 13 pounds.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I never woke mine up at night....but I did during the day. Otherwise, I just let them eat when they want to eat.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Unless there's a weight problem, don't wake him. Well, at that young age, if he went more then 4-5 hrs without nursing, THEN I might say, wake him. If you DON'T wake him, how long will he sleep without nursing?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011