How exactly will I know it he's ready to potty train?

He is 21 months, I hear of some ppl having there child trained now and even before. I just dont feel like my little man is ready.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just wait. The longer you wait, the easier it is to train. It could take months if you start now. If you wait until he turns 3 it will take days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• just keep asking him and introducing it to him that's what i did and my son finely decided he wanted to do it..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Ok thanks so it's normal to wait untill there around 3? I just hear people doing it so early and I have pressure from others I need to start. So, is 3 a normal age to be potty trained.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son is 2 and is NOT ready at all whatsoever. My cousin has 3 boys and all hers were potty trained within a few days after they turned 3. They just weren't ready until they were ready. Don't feel pressured. You do what is best for you and him.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I finally pushed it after my daughter turned 2 1/2. I was like "OMG, I'm so done with diapering you!" lol. She's getting it, but it's not easy.

If you ahve more patience than I do, great. Just keep waiting until it's his idea (but be sure to introduce the potty and keep suggesting it so it's not totally new and scary when the time comes).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Many preschools/daycares start trying to potty train in the 2-year old classroom. having worked in that room at a daycare, it didn't really work very well.

My son, after a couple of life-changing events, finally fully potty trained at 4 (we started at 2 with the daycare he was in at the time). We tried to start my daughter at 2 as well and she was having noting at all to do with potty training. She finally picked it all up in a week when she was 3ish.

My best advice: have the stuff you're going to use for potty training out and available, but when your child is ready they will tell you. Every child is different.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• that training you can started now. put the potty in the living room and start ask him are you ready ? Do you want? introduce the potty and give him example how to seat etc.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son is 27 months. He can tell me when he's wet or messy and he knows when he's about to go messy because he'll grab a toy and go in the corner, or behind the couch. Another sign is when they can pull down/up their pants. He's ready and we're starting.

Answer by missanc at 5:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• All of my children potty trained at 28 months except 1 who potty trained at 29 months. I also reccomend you don't use pull ups. I didn't have any luck with them at all. Ok. my youngest is 18 months and I'm going to start training him in 10 months.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 7:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• i think if you train early then we the parents are trained and not the child
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011