i dont know what to do with my cat?

so i got my cat from my parents she is a family cat she has been in our family since i was 9. im 24 now. well every since i picked the cat up from my parents she has been pissing and shitting on the floor. she has never done this she always used the liter box. im pregnant and worried that the smell of the cat piss will harm me, it is very strong, she will pee on our towels and after i wash them it still smells. so its pretty strong. i dont know if the smell will affect the baby or not but i dont want to take a chance, i said something to my mom about it but and said if she can ask her mom if she can keep the cat, my mom lives with her mom now. she said she will ask he rmom, i said i will give her a week and if i dont get a reply i will take her to the animal shelter, i tried to put her on craigslist but nobody wants her, i dont blame them though. so i dont know what to do with this cat, i dont want to upset my mom but i cant keep her

hello_kitty1

Asked by hello_kitty1 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pets

• The cat is not used to it's new surroundings?.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would not give up a family cat that easy.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• well if you're pregnant the poo is the problem, not so much the pee. but you're probably immune to it anyway if you've been around the cat that much. anyway, here's what to do. put the litter pan and the cat in a room with the food and water. make sure there is some place nice for the cat to sleep in there too. keep the cat confined to that room for a day and go visit them often. when you first put them in the room put them into the litter pan and use their paw to move the litter around, just like you do for a kitten. the cat is really old and old cats (like people lol) don't do well with change. keeping them in the room for a day will make them less stressed and overwhelmed. also to get the pee smell out of carpet, clothes, floor, wherever, you need an enzyme cleaner. i like nature's miracle. you get it at the pet store. saturate it with the enzyme cleaner and it will not smell. also....i know it's hard but be nice to
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The smell of cat pee won't do anything. It's only the poop you can't handle. It's not the smell. You need to find out what's wrong with it. Can it go back to your parents? Take it to the vet. Don't give it away. It will poop for the new people and they will send it to the pound.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• the cat because she is very old and her whole world has just been turned upside down. keep her in a room until she starts getting used to the new situation and then start letting her out for a few hours every day. that will make the adjustment much easier on her. and btw, just to be safe have someone else clean the litter box or have one with the automatic scoop. better to be safe than sorry
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yeah thats true i didnt think about that i dont want to give her away either she is like family, but i cant afford the liter either or food thats another problem
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My cat had this problem not w/ pooping but peeing every where i couldnt take it so i took him in and he had crystal in his bladder (like kidney stones in ppl) thry gave him antibiotics and wet food to keep him hydraded cuz dry food soaks up all the water
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• oh yeah my problem is i cant afford health insurance for the cat or to take her to the vet, we used to be able to but the economy has gotten so bad for us we just cant afford it now, me and my husband were working both full time jobs and a month after i got pregnant i lost my job.
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If you had a child that was exhibiting strange behaviors, would you just give it away instead of trying to find out what's wrong? And if you couldn't afford food or litter, why did you agree to take the cat in the first place? You have a responsibility to this cat and you shouldn't just dump it at the pounde. At its age, how likely do you think it is that it will be adopted and not just euthanized?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• to the lady above me....i didnt say be a bitch i was just worried about my pregnancy and asking on what i should do i could just drop her off in the middle of nowhere like some people do with there pets. at least i would make sure she would have somewhere to stay...? so dont criticize me and be a judgmental bitch cuz i dont tolerate it.
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011