Who has flown with an infant?

Next month my 8 month old and I are flying to California so she can meet her daddy for the first time... it's going to be a fairly long flight... from Tampa to California. I went ahead & purchased a seat for her to be as safe and comfortable as possible... does anyone have any advice for me? We will be flying alone, so I'm trying to figure out how we're going to manage switching planes/flights on top of luggage and all that fun stuff LOL. Will TSA let me bring water/formula/baby food for her?

Also, im worried about her ears... especially during takeoff/landing. any suggestions for that? thanks!!!!

sophiejsmommy

Asked by sophiejsmommy at 9:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Give her something to suck during take off and landings - bottle, pacifier, nurse, anything. Not sure about the baby food. Bring your stroller right up to the gate. They will check it under the plane and have it for you right when you get off. How will an 8 month old sit? Will you bring a car seat? I would probably just strap her in the seatbelt. It will be hard to lug a car seat around. You could gate check that too I suppose. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• For taking off and landing, if she takes a bottle or silly cup, let her have one during that time, or a pacifier. It's been a while since i flew, but I was allowed to take formula one the plane, they just tested it while going through security. My doctor told me that when she flew she would always get her kids a new toy and wait to give it to them until take off, it helped occupie them, and it worked for my son. Id pack as light as possible. For your carry on, make sure you pack a few outfits. My son wet through 2 on a 3 hr flight!! Don't know if it was the altitude or what. Relax! Don't pay attention to the people Who complain....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• thanks! yes, i was bringing her car seat... fits right into her stroller, so i figured that would make it a little easier to lug around ;) i think they let families with young children pre-board too, dont they?
    sophiejsmommy

Comment by sophiejsmommy (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have flown with a 2 week old child It is HARD but you can do it!! Make sure you have a warm cloth to put over there ears when u take off and land
    Dopey2011

Answer by Dopey2011 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If your baby is only 8 months old, she flys free and u can hold her on your lap. My daughter 2 now, has been back and forth to florida 4 times and all 4 times she sat in my lap. Sometimes u might get lucky and the plane wil not be full and the seat next to u wil be free. Some flight attendents also might give u another seat if there is one available. Also putting a warm cloth over their ears does not work at all, I tried that and was not successful. Just when the plane starts to taxi down the landing strip, give her a bottle of whatever,and the sucking motion will keep her ears from popping, although many babies this young really doesn't seem to affect them, my daughter didn't care. Another thing, besides the stroller, and u don't care, but one of those baby carriers, u know the ones that u can put on you and carry them on your chest. That worked soooo well for my daughter!! Hold her on my chest, she slept thru the whole 4hr
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• cont>>>>>The only thing that might happen is some flight attendents will tell u to take her out whuile the plane takes of, then u can put her back in and take her out when the plane is landing. My family lives in Florida is why I have been down there so many times. They only time she might get fussy will be the layovers. My layover was in Alanta, and that place is like a city within a city! Even had a subway type train under the airport to get from concourse to concourse. Goodluck!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• SW airlines gives two bags per person if they have a ticket... we figured since we are relocating back to camp pendleton, it was better to pay the $100 something for her to have her own seat than $100 just in extra baggage fees! plus shell be more comfortable. :)
    sophiejsmommy

Comment by sophiejsmommy (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• paci or feed her while takeoff and/or landing. the noise of the plane should make her fall asleep, it is kind of comforting. i didn't bring a carseat, he sat in my lap. it's easier if you bring an umbrella stroller, it fits in the xray machine, easier to manage. i had a small one with a small basket underneath. bring at least 2 extra pair of clothes, diapers, wipes, a couple of toys/books. check your airline rules, some won't let formula through security without it being a new can, closed and sealed. you can't bring water through security, so as soon as you get through, buy a bottle of water. hopefully it will be at least room tempurature by the time she has to eat, so it's not too cold. if a store has some not in the fridge, even better. you can ask for water on the plane, but it will be cold, since they keep it in the fridge. have your wallet and stuff in the diaper bag (although i suggest a medium sized bag, nothing too big
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• As for your luggage, the airline takes care of all that, if u do decide on the baby carrier, which in my opinion is sooo much simpler, u can also put the stroller as baggage. so all u have to bring on is the baby and the baby bag! Less mess less fuss! TSA will require you to certain things in a plastic baggie. Examples, the baby rash cream, buy the gerbers little 4 oz juices, its easier and TSA will allow it, for formula get the packets for the one time use. Emamil (?) has them. They look like the one time use for 8oz Cystal light has. If u bring toothpaste, put in a clear baggie, the little snacks she might want put into a clear container. If u can help it, the only liquid u should have is the 4oz juice. TSA is a pain in the ass, but they are here for our safety and inconvenience. If u do bring the stroller, u will have to take her out so u can put that thru their X-ray thing, u all heard of the exploding strollers haven't u?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• basic needs: diapers (bring more than you think you'll need. like if she normally goes through 5 diapers a day, bring 8 or 10), wipes, a changing mat (the bathrooms can get nasty), binky, formula, bottles( 2 or 3, you can always rinse it out real good for the next feeding. i helps keep room in the bag too), blanket (a small recieving blanket will be fine, some planes get cold), extra clothes (at least 2, in case of an explosive diaper), tylonal, gas drops (make sure it's 4oz) if you bring any type of liquid, put them all in a ziploc baggie so you can hand it all over at the security line. they have to be 4oz or less. of course your essentials, wallet, ticket, ect. stroller (i suggest an umbrella stroller, it's way easier) couple of quiet toys. make sure her shoes are not too hard to take off and put on. you'll need to take them off through security. think that's about it. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2011