Anyone have tips for weaning off of coffee without massive headaches?

Hate Caffeine addiction.

FireyOne

Asked by FireyOne at 10:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• stared drink pop
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 10:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Maybe try weaning yourself off slowly at a time. Try making the coffee weaker each time and take some Advil or Aleve to get you through the headaches. Eventually you will become used to the weaker coffee to the point where you will no longer want it. You could still drink your coffee if you wanted to, just the decaffeinated kind. I think people sometimes forget how addicting caffeine can be and that is a drug and stop yourself cold turkey is hard and literally painful. So take baby steps to wean yourself and then your body will readjust itself and it will no longer depend on the coffee for support. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 10:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• there's no one thing that helped me cut down my caffeine and also cut out migraines. migraines still come but they are much less frequent. step one: eat more fruit and vegetables, especially in the early parts of the day. step two: examine your sleep habits. i've been a lifelong insomniac and sufferer of migraines. once i took my sleep issues into my own hands and saw a specialist, i have been doing better on less caffeine (only 1 cup of coffee per day) and noticed a decrease in headaches.

do see your doctor. if (s)he can't help, (s)he will be able to point you in the right direction.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 10:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I hear you mellypoo, I also get migraines and coffee is one of the first things I run to for the pain, but trying to conceive I've got to let it go... It's so hard!! lol
    FireyOne

Comment by FireyOne (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my doc advised i could have 1-2 cups (about 1 mug) of coffee per day. it was more harmful to cut it out altogether because of my migraines. about 6 months in gestational diabetes forced a change in my diet as well. the hardest thing is carrying these changes over into your non-pregnant life once you're not "forced" to do it anymore!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 10:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Have you tried drinking more water? Sometimes the headaches are more towards the lack of hydration and less because of the actual caffine withdrawl. It might not be the case for you, but it's worth a shot.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• go slow... wean yourself, and make sure when you are skipping a cup of coffee you are drinking something... water, decaf... don't replace one caffiene with another...
    i cut out mt dew each time i got preggers, but did it slowly, one can or cup every other day to avoid caffiene head aches... just had my 3rd baby, quit each time without any issues.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• take baby steps w/ reducing the amount each day
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I was a major coffee drinker and my doctor told me I had to get off of it and the way to do it w/o headaches was to lesson what I drank each week by one cup of coffee. (I actually drank about 2 - 3 pots of coffee a day at the time) -- With just one less cup a day each week, it didn't really seem so bad. If you do get headaches you can take Excedrin, it has caffeine in it.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Drink lots of water and just power through it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011