Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Just realized its against the law to tax food bought with foodstamps

And a store, a common major store like Walgreens has been doing this to me and others for a very long time. Anyone else ever experience this? They were charging tax that of course isn't being picked up by the ebt card and asking us for the cash. Months later I find out this is Illegal. Who do I call, my local office never picks up their phone? and before anyone says its not illegal yea it is go to any state site and the USDA Snap website itself. Just shocked a major chain store would do this. They always told me it was legal but i wondered why other grocery stores never taxed me. Guess I fell for it and plenty of others. And before anyone bashes me keep it to yourself because I will be off foodstamps once my balance is used, they let me keep my balance my income has changed for the better so spare me the nonsense i was in a bad situation for a short time.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

Answers (10)
  • Luckily I keep receipts laying around for too long so I have some proof and  some of them had no non food purchases so the tax wasn't from anything else.


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • You don't have to justify having food assistance, people fall on hard times, it's life, it happens.

    Maybe contact your state's Department of Revenue? I'm not really sure who else you could contact, but that'd be a good start.

    Answer by Nanixh at 10:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • I feel I sometimes do, when you are college educated had a really good job and got laid off and kicked to the curb while pregnant and than land on assistance and people look at you like you are lowlife drop out scum it gets frustrating. The new face of foodstamps. The Educated and once middle class.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • Try using one of the 800 number and see if they can direct to the right phone number in your state.  GL


    Answer by musicmom08 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • Call your state Dept of Health and Human Services and report them. They are double dipping. The state reimburses the stores for the tax forgiveness so they should not be charging you. Or go to your PA office and ask to speak to a supervisor or the head of the agency.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Thank you. I call the 1888 number on the back of ebt card and they can't help me, all these numbers and all these people who "can't" do anything.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • I'd also call the store manager!!!

    Answer by AlyOops at 12:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • I did she checked the transaction when i called her she says she doesnt even see where it says i paid extra yet its on my receipt so she told me to come in. seems to cashier might have pulled something fishy cause its not showing on their end. Glad im a hoarder who never throws out receipts lol

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Call the Sales tax office.

    Answer by SweetLuci at 9:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

  • Got it fixed. They are going to look into it because it never happened to anyone else using ebt in that store.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.