We currently have as part of our program monthly character education themes focusing on lessons that teach responsibilty,respect,loyality to name a few. We are considering adding lessons that focus on bullying. What are your opinions on this being implemented in preschool?

lilachievers

Asked by lilachievers at 10:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• that sounds like a good idea to me.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it's a wonderful idea. Bullies are something that a lot of kids are going to have to deal with in life and they should be educated on what to do if they're ever bullied.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yes! That sounds like a wonderful idea! Maybe you will be able to nip it BEFORE elementary school!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 10:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it is great to start that young. To have some dialogue and role play maybe on their level. You can never start too early with the issue of bullies.
    Carly67

Answer by Carly67 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It would have to be taught in the simplest sense.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• In preschool, concentrating on the usual how to be a good friend is sufficient. It is not something that is really an issue in the lower grades and I prefer it to be introduced after kindergarten. When you concentrate on being a good friend, and what that means, you cover the bully issue.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't think it's an issue that needs to be explored in any depth -- but to touch on it would be great. I do not think they would comprehend exactly what they were being taught and it may just end up confusing them. Maybe in pre-k -- just before starting "real" school!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I'm in agreement with froqdawg on this issue. It's important for preschoolers to have things put in positive and simple terms. Preschoolers are just learning how to play with other children and must be helped by adults to resolve issues with playmates. Bullying is a concept best left for first grade when children are able to express their feelings and are in the process of fine-tuning their social skills.    www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 3:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Thanks so much for the input. I recently heard that one of the larger franchise centers were doing this and wondered if it was something I should implement.
    lilachievers

Comment by lilachievers (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• My son's preschool focuses on being a friend and what it means to be nice to your friends. At this age, like others have said, I think that's the best approach. Telling my son what I don't want him to do often backfires on me!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2011