how can i get my three year old daughter to stop drinking juice all night?

leeanngh

Asked by leeanngh at 8:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You know what works best with her, but I think completely stopping it today is best. An hour before bedtime small children shouldn't have anything to drink, unless it is a sip of water. Just a sip, not a cup.

Juice at bed time is not good. She doesn't need the sugar because it's time to sleep. It is also not good for her teeth. Drinks at bedtime cause bed wetting or getting up during the night to pee.

With my 3 year old trying to slowly make a change or letting him decide to do it usually doesn't work. If they don't need it, take it away. Your getting the juice for her, so your in control. Tell her no. Give her a drink of water and send her on her way. She will probably cry, but don't give in.

Your doing what's best for your little girl, so be proud of yourself! That's what parenting is all about. Tough Love!

Come by my page to chat any time!
    Avon_Mommy

Answer by Avon_Mommy at 12:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You just have to stop giving it to her. Sure, she'll cry and fuss, maybe even throw a fit. Give her water instead. I have to do the same thing with my son (3 1/2) and chocolate milk. He doesn't complain as much as he used to since he knows he won't get the choco milk, just the hiccups from his fit.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• she shouldnt even be taking a cup to bed. we only let my 3 year old have water and we dont put it in a sippy she can only have it if she asks for it. helps with bedwetting not to mention tooth decay.
    amandap1705

Answer by amandap1705 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Don't give it to her.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i would say dont give it to her..and or try diluting to where she wont ask
    nutymom06

Answer by nutymom06 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Give her one glass of juice and then replace the other glasses with a snack that she might like. Maybe she's is drinking juice because she is hungry.
    Sandra090269

Answer by Sandra090269 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• slowly start diluting the juice with more and more water until its nothing but water, and then slowly start taking her off the sippy cup until she doesn't need to go to bed with it anymore, my oldest it took us a couple of months but we finally got it, my 2 yr old is completely done with sippy cups and has been for 4 months now, its a hard thing and you might here some whining but eventually she'll be done with it and you will be happier, good luck
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 12:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Stop giving it to her. You are her mother...stop giving in. If she's truly that thirsty, then water will do just fine.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• HIDE THEM!! Or just stop buying juice for a while. She wont have any other option other than water or milk. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• stop giving it to her..
    lovinmyseabee

Answer by lovinmyseabee at 10:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2008