My 2 month old won't poop on his own

Hello...I'm new here & a first time mom. My 2 month old was doing great until the last 2 weeks or so he has not been pooping on his own. He screams & cries but he can't get it out. We saw the pediatrician & he said it was okay to use a q-tip with some Vaseline to help move things along. If I do this, gas comes out first then comes the poop. He's not constipated. It's soft/normal. He's a happy baby again. I'm nervous he will get dependent on this. 2 weeks now & he won't go on his own. I called the ped the other day & explained to him again & he said to change his formula from Goodstart to Emfamil Nutramigen. I tried for 3 feedings but he hated it. Didn't work for the poop, he kept stopping to burp every 1/2 ounce, would spit it out or struggle to suck. It's pretty thick. I am now back on the Goodstart but he still won't poop without my help. I've been trying not to use the q-tip trick but is so hard not to when he is screaming

vickiev

Asked by vickiev at 11:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should make an appt with the pedi or a GI specialist. My dtr had similar issues due to her prematurity. She wasn't typically constipated cause her poop was soft, but she couldn't go. Her GI doc was adamant about not using rectal stimulation and we were stuck in a similar situation. We ended up, starting at 7 weeks, giving her small amounts of prune juice daily. (The doc is from Childrens Hospital Boston). I would ask and keep asking until you get a solution that does not require stimulation, because that can cause problems in the future.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Maybe the muscle just isn't developed yet? I don't know. I would take him into the doctor and be insistant that they check him out. If they won't, go to another ped. I'm sorry I can't help more, I gave you a bump and hope you get some answers!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Do you have a specific reason for going with Enfamil or Nestle. There is something similar to nutramagen, at least I think, in the Similac line. The Alimentium. It's the purple one. My son was on it for a bit, a trial about somethign else, didn't work. Anyways not related. I didn't find it to be any thicker than his regular formula and the only thing I ran into is that it mixed better measured into a mixing cup then poured into the bottle for feeding. If your doc is on board you might see if you can get a sample and try that. Or some other formula that may help. Is the goodstart a milk or soybase. It could just be needing to switch to soy. I don't really know I never had that problem. I really hope you get it all figure dout though, that would have to not be cool.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your responses. We see the pediatrician again on Friday and I'll mention some of your suggestions.
    vickiev

Comment by vickiev (original poster) at 7:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2011