anyone who's babies/children have eczema .. a little help here please !!

my DS is almost 5-months old. he has patches of red dry skin all over his body and face. he doesn't scratch (probably because he's too little to do that) and they don't seem to irritate him either (he's sleeping, playing and eating fine), but sometimes they start spreading and become so red and horrible looking that it's almost scary.
his pediatrician says its eczema. she hasn't run any tests but by looking at them she says it is. she told me to quit using products (like baby shampoos and lotions) which have alcohol in them. she said they will get a little better but won't go completely. hence come and go according to weather, environment etc.
so im using Aveeno's body lotion eczema therapy and a couple of itch-healing ointments which i got over the counter. his pedi said to discontinue them when they start to get a little better and can start continuing them after a while when i see it has started again. i even checked with the doctor/pharmacist at CVS who says my doctor is absolutely right.

but the thing is that it gets better for 1 day or 2 days max! as soon as i stop using the healing ointments, the rash comes back, and starts spreading. it goes away when i put on the ointment. so am i to use this ointment for the rest of his life ?!!! what do i do?? please help :(

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has this. she is 15 months now. I first noticed it when she was 6 months. Yes keep using th eointment with age and weather change it will go away. My daughter had it for about 2 months and as long as I kept the lotion on it it healed. She went months without a breakout and then it came back again same thing just keep lotion on it until it stops coming back. She has a couple patches right not but they are nothing like the first time. Sorry it sucks but it takes some maintenance.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son has been suffering with this since 3 weeks old. We went to an allergist and had testing done at 6 months old. His is environmental and some soaps do make it worse. As mentioned above, limiting baths really helps a lot. We use a product called Vanicream. It is used at pharmacies for compounding medications. You can buy over the counter. It has no smell, is not greasy and can be used everywhere on the body and hair. There are two options a tube of lotion and a jar of paste/cream. The paste is the best! It really has helped my boy.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 11:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My daughter has had eczema all her life She is 20 now. It got worse in her child hood and comes and goes now. Grass and hot or cold weather always aggravated it and she played soccer so we have seen and tried it all. We found CeraVe
    http://www.cerave.com/where.htm works best and she uses it every day. She also uses a prescription for when it is bad. Do not use a steroid cream on a baby. If it gets really bad take her to a dermatologist where they will prescribe something without steroids.
    There is nothing wrong with using a lotion every day so if it works then don't stop using it. You will probably want to use free and clear soaps etc. We still do for the whole family.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My daughter has eczema as well. We use the Aveeno lotion also - as long as it's the kind in the tube you are okay. My ped just told me at my last visit that all lotions in a pump have alcohol in them, so use the tube kind. She gave me a prescription 2.5% hydrocortisone to use on my daughter for 2 weeks - that cleared it right up! But she's 6 months now and I have noticed a marked improvement over the past couple of weeks, maybe she's already outgrowing it?

Answer by missanc at 7:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• put coconut oil on the patches. If you are breastfeeding, don't eat any dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son has it too, since he was 5 weeks old, now he is almost 3. We went to dermatologists who gave him tons of ointments, none that helped. For me, this is what helped my son. He only gets a bath ever 3 days, unless he needs one sooner. Every time he gets dress, in the morning,and at night, I rub lotion all over him, we use vaseline coco butters, then in his troublesome spots like his elbows and backs of his knees I put on .5% hydorcortizon cream. But only when he's having an outbreak otherwise it's just lotion. Works amazing!! Way better then any prescription. As long as I keep up with the lotion and cream, he is fine.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My dd is almost 5 and she still uses steroid creams. We use it for 2 weeks, than only on weekends. We also use really thick cream lotion in the bucket. You can check our Emu Oil, google it.
    StarMommy06

Answer by StarMommy06 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i like to use cetaphil for a moisturizer, and steroid cream when it seems to be itching him. that's what we've found works best for us. it might take some trial and error to find what works for your child. gl though!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2011