for mom's with 3 or more

I am expecting my third child and I'm wondering how you ladies managed it with a newborn and your older kids running around. Sometimes I am at my wits end with these two and I wonder how a baby is going to fit in all this. Some days I want to keep it and others I don't think I can handle it and think about giving it up for adoption even though it would hurt to do that. Any advise would be appreciated, and I know someone will probably say it so yes I should have thought about it more before getting pregnant but its too late now.

countrygirl06

Asked by countrygirl06 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• its not going to get any easier the older ones will either wanna help too much or be very jealous....just try to give them each there on time
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 11:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• well, for me it was much easier to go from 2 to 3 than it was to go from 1 to 2. the two older ones usually occupy themselves while i was feeding the baby, and they were still young enough to need a nap, so i had them on the same schedule for that too. when i went from one to two my whole world changed.....i had to get used to dividing my attention, how we go shopping, etc. but now i'm used to that so when the third one came it was a much smaller adjustment. gl....don't worry about it too much. it's not going to be as terrible as you think. i was freaking out too, but i was relieved to find out that i was already a pro lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Hormones.  Once your baby gets here, you will want him or her and you'll feel MUCH better.  When I was pregnant with my 3rd, I was depressed and upset my entire pregnancy.  I already had a daughter and I worried every single day that I wasn't going to bond with my new daughter.  Once I had her, there was no doubt in my mind that I had bonded with her.  Now I am pregnant with my 4th and feeling the same way even though I have been through this before, lol.  Cut yourself some slack, you'll do great mama!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have 4 kids. 14, 12 (13 in March), 6, and 5. I wanted another one, but it isn't going to happen. I love being a sahm. I went through some pretty serious post partum depression after our youngest was born. You will do great, MO, just don''t get the new one used to sleeping with you, on you, or by you. That way when he/she naps you can get some you time...try to get all the kids on the same schedule, bedtime 8 or 9 pm so you can have you time also. My best advice when you can sleep...SLEEP. A month or two after the new baby, you won't want it any other way. Good Luck and Brightest Blessings.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's difficult at least in my opinion. My mom always said it was easier going from 2-3 than from 1-2, which I have to disagree with because my two oldest are 5 years apart so when I had my second child I already had a helper. The trouble we're having now is keeping the middle child occupied while the older one is at school and I'm taking care of the baby. Granite, the youngest is only a week old and we are still adjusting, but we've had our good days and we've had our bad days. There's nothing easy about raising children, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My oldest 2 were neither jealous or wanted to help too much.  Your experience will be your own.  I have a 5 year old, 3 year old, 1 year old. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It was easier for me having three than having two. The older ones played together so I could take care of the little one

Answer by admckenzie at 11:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Thank you ladies ,I am just a bit stressed right now. The kids are climbing the walls right now and its driving me crazy. Hubby is at work and won't be home till about 2 am so he can't help. My son will be pretty much 5 1/2 and my daughter will be a couple of months away from being 4 when this one is born so maybe it won't be as bad if I put them to work helping me. Thank you ladies I feel a bit better now.
    countrygirl06

Comment by countrygirl06 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It will all work out. Can explain how but they do. Don't stress so much about it and just go with the flow once it happens.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have 5 kids. The first 3 were born all a year apart (so I had 3 under 3 years old). It was a lot easier this time around with older kids (they were 10, 8 1/2, 7 1/2 and 4 when the baby was born last summer). Sadly, the hardest adjustment was when #4 was born. The older 3 were almost 6, 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and couldn't really help any (although my son, the 4yo, helped so much and was so devoted to his baby sister...they're still close at 9 and almost 5 now). It was rough but I muddled through taking it just one day (or one hour some days) at a time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2011