D'oh!

Do any of Obama's campaign people EVER do any basic fact checking before running with a "feel good" story?!

"President Obama spoke last night about the need to “win the race to educate our kids” and asked if we as Americans are “willing to do what’s necessary to give every child a chance to succeed.” He highlighted one school in particular—Bruce Randolph School in Denver. “Three years ago, it was rated one of the worst schools in Colorado; located on turf between two rival gangs,” Obama said. “But last May, 97 percent of the seniors received their diploma. Most will be the first in their family to go to college.”

What Obama failed to mention is how Bruce Randolph turned its situation around: firing teachers at will after being granted an exemption from union rules.

Here’s what the ABC affiliate in Denver reports:

Bruce Randolph was a middle school when it opened in 2002. In 2007, Denver Public Schools gave Bruce Randolph School permission to operate autonomously. It was the first school in the state to be granted autonomy from district and union rules.

Each teacher then had to reapply for his or her job. A published report said only six teachers remained.

Praising a school that fired almost the entire faculty without input from the local union probably doesn’t sit well with national teachers unions, who gave the Democrats nearly $5 million total in 2008."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-education-reform-real-or-fake_537368.html

As a teacher who is vehemently opposed to HAVING to join my local teacher's union, I think what this school did was AWESOME!  And I would wholeheartedly support every school district across the country following in suit!

What do the rest of you think...1.) about Obama praising a school that showed marked success and improvement having eliminated what was obviously the problem, and 2.) not realizing what this school did was completely at odds with the very unions who have donated heavily on Obama's campaigns?!

Obama's "WTF Tour 2012" is starting off ever so nicely!! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's wonderful, and I don't care if they get rid of ALL the unions! They have outlived their usefulness, and are run by dirty, cheating, s-o-b's who are stealing from the very workers they claim to be protecting! The teachers in my daughter's school don't have a union to hide behind, and if one of them isn't doing his job...he's out of there! And it can happen in the middle of the school year! It has! Makes a difference I guess when the parents have to pay for their kid's education, because we have a very active parent base. That's why we have 24 out of 25 gong on to college, with the 25th one usually going a year later! If a child doesn't live up to the high standards they are asked to leave. And that is in or out of school! The students all show respect to the adults, themselves and the other students. It's great, but too bad we have to go to a private school to get that kind of an education!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Obama's "WTF Tour 2012" is starting off ever so nicely!!

That about says it, I think!!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 4:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• And now we know the rest of the story. Seems to be a theme the last couple of years.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think something should be done so that teachers are not just sitting behind a desk and saying to kids"read this chapter, do the questions at the end and we'll test on this Friday". OMG school is FULL of this! I mean how do you expect a student to learn or even care when 1. You aren't teaching and 2. You yourself show them you don't care? I know there are decent teachers out there but they are so few and far between. It makes me sick when I see teachers go on and on about how they chose their job because they had a calling in life and love kids. BS! More like you love having summers off, weekends off and every holiday off!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The question is who really brought the rest of the story to the media's attention - the union trying to embarrass Obama or the anti-union people trying to keep them in their place. The story alone is damning, but not necessarily against any one person. Where it goes by the time Iowa gets its temporary population surge will be interesting.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• LOL. It's getting pretty crowded under Obama's bus. I doubt he is worried much about it. He blows through towns and gives pretty speeches to people that already support him and will no matter what he says or does. The only people interested enough to scratch the surface are those that already know what he's about. The unions won't drop their support of him. He's still dangling EFCA in front of their faces. They want it so bad they can taste it.

I agree though, many of the poor performing schools could benefit from the same action that this school took. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I doubt he is worried much about it. He blows through towns and gives pretty speeches to people that already support him and will no matter what he says or does

I agree with that. He could hold a press conferene and say "yes, I am indeed the anti-Christ. Put 666 on your forehead, and renounce God, or suffer the consequences", and people would STILL say he was "misunderstood", and then they'd all run out, get in line behind his other minions, and put 666 on their foreheads. It's ridiculous!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• cbk_mom3

LMAO!!!! Why don't you say what you really think! LMAO!!!!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• This is great! It shows what happens when you hold people (teachers) accountable for their actions. It also shows how clueless some people can be, but I bet it will be blamed on whoever wrote the speech.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have to wonder if he knew that. Unions are his most loyal supporters and I honestly am not sure he would intentionally spotlight an example where they were shown in a bad light.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2011