2 year old says penis hurts when peeing in his diaper.

DS is just 2 and a few hours ago we heard him crying in pain from the playroom. My DH went and got him and he was pointing to his penis in his diaper and crying. We both opened up his diaper and his penis looked swollen a tad and there was a spot about the size of a dime of light yellow tan on his diaper which we are assuming was some type of discharge. Our son is uncircumcised and has frequent baths. He is not in any daycare environment or left with sitters of any kind. After that he seemed fine. I changed his diaper and looked at his penis and it did not seem to have any discharge coming from it. Soon after I put his new diaper on he was playing in front of us and started that cry. My dh said he must have peed and it hurt. Sure enough ds pointed to that area and said boo boo. I told dh maybe it is a UTI but he thinks it is ballooning (something he found on the internet that is common in uncirc toddlers. Our Ped does have Saturday hours and we will take him in in the am but has anyone experienced this with their toddler.

Update:  We went to the pediatrician Saturday morning and he said all was fine.  He did not see any infection and told us all was fine and checked everything and he has been fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Poor little guy! Both of my boys are circ'd so I have no experience with this. I hope he feels better soon.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• he can very well have a UTI my Grandson had one and didn't complain until he could not urinate so, Yes take him in the AM to be checked if not take to ER it is very painful for little guys
    rbosco

Answer by rbosco at 11:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The fact that it seems to have started suddenly does suggest UTI. Better to have a Dr. tell you its nothing than wait any longer than needed to treat an infection. Good luck
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 11:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Probably a uti. His fever might get high. They thought my dd had one, she had temp of 101.9 so we took her to th ER. They did some blood work and wphad to use a catheter. My poor girly :(. But the ER doctor said that a lot of times, when little ones have high fevers and not much else going on it's a uti. Thankfully dd didnt have one. Poor guy....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Oh that sounds awful. Can't really help because i have a girl and my brothers were all circ'd but I know at about 2 she did have a day or two where she cried like she was dying and was refusing to pee beacuse it hurt. When i finally coaxed her to go she passed what looked like some kind of clotty discharge, just a tiny bit, after that she was fine and the doctor said she didn't have a UTI so it was just some kind of random blockage that she passed. Hope your little man feels better soon.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 11:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son woke up shortly after his first birthday, with blood in his diaper. I took him right then to his pediatrician, who referred him to an urologist, who said that he needed surgery immediately. His hole (uretha)? on top of his penis was too small, and about 1 out of 100 boys have this happen. They cut it bigger, and reamed out his tube and sent him home that day with instructions to me to keep the hole opened with a thermometer and neosporin. So later on that day, when I changed him, I got out my thermometer and tried that. It is funny now, looking back on it, but then I was terrified because I couldn't get that thermometer in the hole on top of his penis! Well, first baby, and ignorance were to blame! I called the dr's office and was frantic, until she told me that I had to use a RECTAL thermometer instead of the ORAL one I was trying to use. God, I felt so stupid!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son is uncirc and he gets infections in the skin area sometimes.  His doctor has us apply athletes foot cream on his penis.

Sonshiner

Answer by Sonshiner at 2:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• bath or clean the area, try with balmex or desitin and then observe for a week otherwise doctor superpowers opinions.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Take him to the doctor.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 7:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• my husbands pee hole was to small when he was a infant like days old, but after they fixed it he was fine. it sounds like to me your little man has a uti. take him in better to be safe then sorry..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2011