Should students and teachers be friends on Facebook?

This was a question on my local news tonight. They said it's been a debate around the country and, of course, being where I am, it's just now hitting my local area. What are your thoughts?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not if they are casual fb users who only use one page and let everyone see everything. There are ways it can be useful, by maintaining a separate professional page that is only for co-workers, students and students' parents. A lot of professors do this now. It ends up a catch all where they can put things that cross their desk that may be of casual interest to their students, and students can ask questions that may be useful to everyone in the class.

In general, though, it's not a good idea for anyone to have co-workers (and that, technically, would include students or clients) on their regular personal fb page. Nothing says drama like word spreading around the office when someone gets tagged in drunken brawl pictures or their status changing to "it's complicated".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I am a teacher and I do not friend students or their parents on FB-
    Lots of my co-workers do friend them and actually have very personal relationships with their students parents-
    I love my students and am committed to them-but I figure- we all have our own lives-why intermingle like that-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• no! i think people go overboard flirting when they "chat" online, like it's no big deal to flirt or something bc you're no face-to-face. i think if they do this it opens the doors to inappropriate behavior. students look up to their teachers and seeing that they go out with their friends or get a glimpse into thier private lives could make them feel a connection that isn't there.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No, I don't think so, teachers need a break from their jobs, just like everyone else does. They have a life outside of school and they probably have work to do at home. I can't imagine they would have the time or want to go on f/b and chat with 20+ students and/or their parents, good heavens, what a nightmare!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's not a good idea.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No way...just setting yourself up for trouble in my opinion.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• For the most part no. However, if a favorite teacher moves away, maybe ok. I'll tell you what happened in our district. There's a teacher that besides her other friends, apparently, only friended the popular kids at her school and their parents & siblings. There was a huge stir about it because lots of kids were sending her friend requests and she'd pick and choose who to friend - which they could see from her friend list. The last time I looked for her, her page was gone. I have a friend that finally got a fb page, she's been a teacher for 20+ years and did not want to get a fb page because of the student/parent thing - she just wanted to keep up with family, ect. She set up her acct. with just her first and middle names. If I were a teacher, the LAST thing I'd want to do is go on fb and have to see stuff on my wall from students and/or their parents.
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 12:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think its dangerous. If Mr.Smith says he's going out to dinner that night, some kid may have a grudge for the F he received on a test and could break into his house or damage it or something. For kids its dangerous because newsflash-not all teachers have purely innocent ideas about kids. Particularly at the hs level. You want Mr.Smith to see your 17 year old dd's pics of her and her friends in their camis and panties at a slumber party or bikinis at a pool party? Umm no. They could be sneaking around and having a relationship that was inappropriate and you wouldn't even know it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I do like the personal/professional page idea. That's a good one.

I taught for several years but don't anymore. Some of my former students (who are only about 7 years younger than I am) have asked to 'friend' me. I don't live near them anymore, and it's been almost 20 years since I taught them, so I accepted. I wouldn't accept current students if I were still teaching unless I were clever enough to establish a professional page like a PP mentioned. It would be just too weird/risky to have current students on my personal FB page.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• NOPE! and I don't think kids need facebooks either!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011