Should a second time mom have a Baby Shower

I have heard both ways. The first baby is 2 and a boy not for sure sex of next baby. Mom got rid of most of the baby stuff as she had no plans for another baby.

nanny29

Asked by nanny29 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The "rule of etiquette" is usually...a baby shower is ok if there is 5 years or more between babies. But if the mom doesn't have anything, I would think a small shower would be helpful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i don't see anything wrong with ahving a small shower with close family & friends.
    danielle1433

Answer by danielle1433 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My mom had a 'sprinkle' when she had my youngest sister. It was after she was born and it was very casual.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I had a small baby shower with my 2nd with just close family & friends. My first child is a boy and my second is a girl so I got a lot of cute girl clothes. It was fun, and my son enjoyed helping me unwrap the presents for his baby sister.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• This question gets asked so often that I've been checking etiquette books and websites. I haven't seen anything that says you shouldn't be given a shower for a 2nd...or even 3rd baby....even if they are closer together. I see lots of things about who should give the shower, but if friends want to give a shower to help get ready for a new baby....it looks to me like an expectant mom can simply smile and graciously say "thank you"!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i had one for both my kids who are 2 years apart and i plan on having one for this one as well
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 11:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• if someone wants to give u one i dont see the problem. I had two. new baby new excitement.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 12:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong...I actually didn't know it wasn't "right" until recently. I thought every pregnancy should get one.

I definitely don't think it's wrong if the 2nd baby is the other sex or if there's quite a few years in between babies or if someone just wants to throw you one. I think if you're having the same sex, and you still have stuff from the first, then maybe do a diaper party or something like that.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 12:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Why not? I think if someone wants to throw her a baby shower it's okay. Especially if it's been some years since the first one. Sometimes parents get rid of things they could have reused or the baby's a different sex than the first. I see no problem with it. I'm throwing my SIL a baby shower for her second baby boy.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I am pregnant with my second and I am having a second shower with close friends and family more for the celebration of the birth of my second. I believe whether it's a first baby or a fifth, they all deserve to be celebrated. :) And since they are all close friends and family, they all know what I need and don't need. And also what I have and don't have. Congrat's on the new baby!!!
    Brittany1286

Answer by Brittany1286 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2011