12 hours of gymnastics for 7 year old too much?

I currently have daughter enrolled in gymnastics just for fun. Because she is really good she is mow in level 4 which means she goes to the gym for 4 hours every other day total of 12 hours. I think is Little too much I asked some moms about how they feel about their kids been at the gymn for long hours and they don't seemed bother. I even know some kids that they been home schooled. Because of their commitment to the sport. Question is ..is it too much? It all started as a hour fun thing and now this... but then if she has a talent should I continue letting her go?

amparoortega

Asked by amparoortega at 11:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• If she wants to do it and her schoolwork is not getting behind, I would let her do it! Gymnasts who are very good start when they are very young -- and are dedicated to it. (We do gymnastics too) -- If you stop her now, you may never know how good she could really be at it. I would weigh it all out and then decide what is best for her AND your family!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• As long as she's enjoying herself, I would go with it. As soon as it becomes her job, I'd seriously consider cutting back. Also, what are her coaches goals for her? Most of the girls that start out at the gym where my daughter takes give up the competitive team as soon as they're old enough to cheer in middle school. Then again, I don't live in an area of the country where competitive gymnastics is a huge thing.
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 11:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That seem like a lot to me too....but I would pay attention to your dd's cues. If she seems to be getting tired of it or wishing she was home more...etc....then I would back off from it.

Who knows, this may be her special talent and she needs that much to get to a high level?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I know that is very common in gymnastics. I also know many kids get burned out at that pace. Let's face it, they won't all be Olympic athletes, but they train them all like they will be. It is up to you, as the parent, to determine how much is okay for your child.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2011