is it safe to work while pregnant ?

xxmiztatybabyxx

Asked by xxmiztatybabyxx at 11:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• For most women, yes. What kind of work do you do? No heavy lifting, no hazardous materials, and some other minor adjustments, like being able to sit every so often once your a bit further along and wear comfortable shoes, but otherwise, you ought to be fine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• it depends on where you work. my sister could not continue working at her factory job when she was pregnant because of the exposure to certain chemicals. i could not continue my regular zookeeper duties when i was pregnant because i got knocked down too much. but most jobs you can continue unless you are put on restrictions by your dr.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I worked in a factory during my first pregnancy without any problems. I had an office job during my second pregnancy without a problem.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, and it is a great way to make the time go by faster.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes it is safe. Not only is it a good way to pass the time but it will help support the child you are bringing into the world unless you plan on relying on PA to do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I guess it depends on your job. I wouldn't be doing any heavy lifting or working around chemicals.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Depends on the job, but yes for most women it is safe. I worked with both of my kids up until right before they were born. My first I was a cell phone customer service rep and my second I worked in a grocery store.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Of course it's safe, unless doctor order you to cut back your time or stay off your feet. If your doctor hasn't said anything assuming the doctor knows what you do then you can work til your last day.
    I work with both kids up to a couple of days before going in. I am a hairdresser and was on my feet all day and my Dr said it's fine, just take breaks, make sure i eat and drink water. If you are use to moving and exercising, it's no problem unless a problem comes up and Dr says stay off feet.. OR your job is something that can harm you and baby.
    It's also better for you health wise. It prevents you from staying home a raiding the fridge because you are bored. That way you won't gain unwanted and hard to lose later weight.
    SnapIt

Answer by SnapIt at 1:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It depends on what you do. You should limiting lifting to 25 lbs, because you are more likely to injure your joints thanks to those lovely pregnancy hormones. You shouldn't work around chemicals and radiation. Although, usually if your job requires something not safe for pregnant women, you can talk to your boss about modifying your work load for the time being.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• yes but it depends on the job. if you have a safety person where you work i would ask them to find out what you can and can't be around. it is their job.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 10:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2011