Potty Training.....

If you and your DH both work full time and you have your children in Daycare do you think it's the reponsiblity of the daycare to potty train your child. Had a conversation with a parent that thinks it is totally the responsibility of the teacher! I disagree I believe that it starts with the parents and the teachers are supporters in the effort.

whitefamily

Asked by whitefamily at 11:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm with you. I totally think it's up to the parents The daycare teachers and staff are supporters But for school I did go and observe a few daycares. A couple of them actually did the potty training. Some of them wouldn't take pull ups, the children had to wear real underwear. The teachers at the daycare was okay with taking on the responsibility of potty training, they was just frustrated that they worked with the kids all day getting them use the bathroom and some parents wouldn't work with the child at home.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think more than anything it is a team effort. If the teacher is doing what the can but the parent does not reinforce at home and vice versa nothing is going to happen. The child may get potty trained at one place but know at the other that the diaper is acceptable. I have an in-home daycare. When the children turn two I ask that the parents start using pull-ups so we can work on potty training. Technically, they are with me more awake hours during the week so I will be doing a majority of the potty training then. If the parents do not continue over the weekend we will start from square one every Monday. So, again, a team effort is needed.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree with you. The teachers will work with you, but as a parent, you need to initiate it and decide on the approach.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I work in a preschool and I won't officially start potty training until the parents start on the weekend and then I work with the parents and child. It is not the responsibility of the teachers.
    Sonshiner

Answer by Sonshiner at 2:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• potty training has to start at home. the only responsibility the teacher should have is to periodically either take the children to the bathroom, or ask if they have to go, sometimes both, depending on the age group.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Obviously, this needs to be a symbiotic relationship if it is going to work. You can't have it one way at home and another at daycare. Both parent and daycare provider must work together.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• potty training starts at home to introduce the idea and the two should work 2gether as a team..
    rachaelcc

Answer by rachaelcc at 12:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011