Any tips for teaching your kiddos how to ride a bike?

MichelleLopez04

Asked by MichelleLopez04 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is going to sound crazy but my dd learned by going down a small hill over and over because she didn't have to pedal and balance, she only had to balance. It was like learning one step at a time.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• thats a good idea. my son starts going but once the pedal is straight up and down he cant push it? or something like that
    MichelleLopez04

Comment by MichelleLopez04 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Teach them on a flat, mowed field (higher grass is a pain!) This way they won't be afraid of falling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have also heard of a small hill that is grassy. We taught ours in the backyard on the grass. So when they finally hit pavement, it was a breeze.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The most interesting thing that I read was to remove the pedals when you remove the training wheels. They say to do this so that they learn to balance first and then learn to pedal later when their balance is good.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I first taught my kids to balance in the grass by having them sit and extend their legs to each side and let themselves tip so they could feel what it was like and learn to put their legs out not their feet straight down (which is going to make them fall over). Once they got that I found the best thing to do is let them figure it out on their own. Gliding is easiest (pushing with the feet without putting them on the pedals...remove the pedals if you can).
    My 8yo learned at 6 1/2 from her friend. When she saw the little girl riding she got her bike out (which she refused to touch after I took the training wheels off earlier in the summer) and within an hour they were both riding up and down the street.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• my husband helped him balance and would let him go then have him chase him..took him 3 tries and he got it down ;)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2011