Epidurals and pain?

How much do you actually feel with an epidural? I was scared of the IV .. but I had one a few weeks ago and it was nothing .. now I'm really scared of the epidural but I'm being induced so I'm definitely getting it. (Yes, I am being induced for medical reasons) .. if I don't have the baby before Monday I'm being induced, that is .. but I've had no sign of labor at all thus far.

Anyway, I have horrible anxiety and I'm still scared about the 'what-ifs' such as dying, the baby not being healthy, becoming paralyzed, etc. which I know are all normal yet irrational fears, so I'm just trying to cope with it best I can .. but I was scared about the pain now, I'm such a worry wart! :(

So, what do you actually feel? Is it still very painful? Does it hurt getting it done?

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 8:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you dont really ffeel the pain but the pressure it does hurt a little .. but not as bad .... my problem came after it they missed 4 times then got it now 5 years later i still have horrible back pain i dont think i could do it again
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Honesty, it's no big deal. I am a naturally anxious person and I have a long standing needle phobia. But it really was nothing. A nurse sort of hugged me and talked me through it all. She kept me distracted so I didn't even really notice what was going on behind me. Once it was in and they started pushing the meds through, I was in HEAVEN. If anything I was too numb. I had to watch the monitor to know when to push because I never felt a thing.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was induced twice my baby is 10 mo. my hubby said you made seem easy. I pushed her out after about 5 pushes. i worry too so we do have that in common. when I start to fear I pray and start thinking positive happy thoughts. .
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I had an epidural for the second pregnancy and it was SO much easier than the first. My first was premature, so they wouldn't let me have one. The pain from the epidural is hardly noticeable.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The actual pain of getting the epidural is not so bad. It's uncomfortable, but it's over fast.

As for during labor...I felt achey but that was it. I didn't even know when I was having contractions so I had to watch my belly or wait for the nurse to tell me to push!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Did I write this post? LOL! I had these exact thoughts. I desperately wanted to go drugless, but after nine hours of hard labor, I gave in and got the epidural. Having it put in was no big deal (tell yourself it's going to be the worst thing ever, then be pleasantly surprised when it's not).

I don't want to scare you, but the epidural ended up causing me a lot of pain. At the end, I was frantically thinking, "Would I rather do this without the epidural, or will it be worse if I have it removed?" I think the tube got jarred at one point, though the nurses said it looked fine. It hurt like HELL when I was pushing. I talked to the anesthesiologist the next day, and he suspects that I may have had back labor.

The chances of it not going well for you are SO small, I wouldn't even think about it...you might want to try to go without, though. Remember, you can always get it if you need it! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If your really afraid of labor pains than try to go for the epidural. but try a natural birth if you think you can. With my son (first pregnancy) I had two epidurals because with the one, the iv got pulled out of my back so I had to get another one. With my daughter (second pregnancy) I also had two. the first only numbed one side of my body then wore off the second only numbed my legs. I was told my labor was too far progressed that it just pooled into my legs (??) So i essentially had a drug-free birth. It hurt, obviously, but it was fast because I was pushing so hard to get it over with. Research other medications first before deciding.Good luck =D (Sorry so long)
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Also, It does hurt a little to get an epidural but if it works and its done the right way, its great relief from the pain and getting rest for the delivery.
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was totally determined to go as natural as possible, and decided to have only Demerol. By the time I got my epidural, I was in SO MUCH PAIN I was screaming for them to give it to me. I actually kicked my husband out of the room so he wouldn't protest. Honestly, other than having to stay very still, there was nothing to getting the epidural. I did have some lower back pain after the delivery, and they said it was most likely from the epidural.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was induced for both pregnancies and had an epidural for both -- the epidural didn't take very well, that was the only pain I felt.. labor pains. Honestly, when its all said and done you probably won't be thinking about the delivery -- all of your attention will be on that wonderful new addition in your life.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008