How can I get my daughter to sleep in her own bed?

My daughter is 7 months and sleeps in bed with me. My husband works the night shift so its just my daughter and me sharing the bed. I know that she needs to be sleeping on her own, I just don't know where to begin. I don't want her to cry herself to sleep, but I also don't want her to still be in my bed at the age of 12. Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• First off, she is 7 mo, so don't sweat it to much. Second try getting a pack n play and putting it right next to your bed. I would put her in it, and lay her down, and then every time she stands back up, lay her back down. Eventually she will give in(that is if you don't), and just lay down. It will take a while, but consitancy works.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You have to start now, be firm and consistant. Keep placing her in her bed. Pat her back, whatever, until she falls asleep. Also rocking always working good with my kids.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You can put her to sleep and then place her in her own bed. When she wakes up and cries do the same. She should be almost to the point of sleeping all night so...this is the good time to break her from your bed
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 10:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You need to set into place the habits that you want her to have now. If you are ok with the idea of her "always" needing to fall asleep in your arms or bed and moving her then you can do that. If you want her to fall asleep in her bed and stay there then that is what you need to start working on now. A consistent routine will help. Follow it and put her into her bed comforting her and then let her be. If she cries comfort her, pat her back, but don't pick her up. She will know you are there and she is ok without needing to be right next to you and in your arms. If the crying becomes more than you can stand (because it won't hurt her physically) then hold her for a bit in her room and then put her back down in her bed. You will have to be tough and consistent, but she will get into the habit if YOU don't give in.
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 3:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I am absolutely no help here, I have a 7 year old and a 15 month old who sleep in our bed. My DH swings shifts so it's just me and the kids some nights. My 7 year old will not even consider sleeping in his own bed (I never followed through when he was younger). My 15 month old will go to sleep on his own in his bed, but most nights I don't leave him there, or if I do he will wake to nurse and then he's in my bed. Janimommy81 has some good points, and I agree, you better start now...
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm having the same problem only my son is just about to turn 2. When he was first born I would nurse him to sleep put him in his crib and it was fine. As he got older he had to fall asleep in my bed and was moved to his bed. Now when I try to move him he wakes up as soon as I hit the door way! If we try to move him so mommy and daddy can have some fun he just climbs back over us to get in the middle of us again. We are trying to move him to his bed but I think this might be a long fight. Good luck with yours but this is what hasn't worked so far.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2008