Yeast

I've been baking a lot recently but I hate buying 1 use packets of yeast. I know they say it goes bad if introduced to moisture, but are there larger amounts that I can buy and a safe way to store it?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 1:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Costco has big packs for like $ 4 for this huge bag. I put half in the fridge and the other half in the freezer. ...If you don't have Costco, they have the same bags on Amazon for like $10 - but it's still more cost effective than those little packets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Costco for sure, bake bread all the time! I store mine in ziplock bags I have not had to freeze mine, I Go through it pretty fast.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Redstar yeast comes in a glass jar. I store that in the fridge. It lasts a long time.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 2:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It will stay good for a long time in the freezer, up to a year or even longer. And even when it becomes less potent, you can still use it, you just have to use a little more than usual. When it goes "bad" it doesn't necessarily mean that it has become poisonous or anything like that unless it has had water or other liquid or substance in it. It just means that it is dead and the organisms are no longer alive. Yeast cakes have more moisture in them and will not last as long as the dry yeast.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Use a glass jar to store it
    AlyOops

Answer by AlyOops at 11:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I get the kind in the jar and refrigerate it .
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You can buy glass jars that can be kept in refrigerator .
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2011