are you a budget

how do you make ends mee. i hate going to the grocery store. everthing is sooooooo expensive. i live in california. for get about gas its now 3.27 a gallon

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 1:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Shopping

• Yep, we have a budget.  Prices for anything nowadays is ridiculous.  We make ends meet by deciding where our priorities lay.  When we want to do something extra, the money doesn't change, so something we are doing that pay period has to change to fit something else in.  Bills come first.  We pay all of those in full the very next paycheck after they come in.  That takes some stress out of it for us.  It keeps the bills down in the wintertime so then when spring hits, we aren't struggling to pay off that old gas or electric bill still.  My father in law lives in California, he told us about the gas prices, CRAZY!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• im on a fixed income so if i dont watch it it will disappear like water. the rents out here are any where from 900 to 1500 for a two bedroom . my daughter pays 1450 for a two bedroom thts redicious
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 1:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i live in orange county and yesss. it is WAY expensive. but we have a budget. i make one every month and try not to go over it.
    bouncingsoul

Answer by bouncingsoul at 1:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I coupon, price compare, and boycott items when they have a rediculous price jump. I also try to buy made in the USA products at the grocery store. EG I can afford to by US bell peppers rather than foreign ones, even if there is a price difference, and I believe that ulitimately buying the foreign ones will hurt the economy by driving down the purchasing power of the general public.
    On top of that, I've learned some creative ways to get around some items that have price jumped. For instance Tomato soup used to be 50 cents. Last time I bought a can it was over a dollar. So, instead I buy the smaller can of tomato paste, which is (as of last week) 57cents. I add water, maybe some milk, and a variety of spices.
    Also, I never buy any cleaning products without a coupon. I refuse to waste my 1-2 dollars avg coupon savings per item. Also, I use basic cleaning items like vinegar which can be used for lots of jobs to save money.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 1:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My father in law is on a fixed income also.  He applied for section 8, that makes his rent slightly lower.  He lives in Bakersfield and pays 600 a month in rent for a one bedroom thanks to his section 8.  He use to live here in Indiana and is now thinking about returning because everything is so expensive!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• yes it is very expensive here in california I get coupons for everything and my car fills up with 20 but it is almost a toy car lol I even thinking in get an smart so I can fill it up and forget about it for the entire month lol, I got an electric bike that helps me with quick runs to the store and eat all the content of my fridge (would not trow away food) if I had chicken left overs it will become chicken enchiladas or taquitos if I have beef it will go inside of a quesadilla.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• ~*California*~ here too!!! And yes... a budget!!! Hubby makes about $80k a year, we're in a small 2 bedroom apartment, and everything keeps going up!!! medical insurance doubled, car insurance doubled, and the list goes on...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My rent is $950... and to think at one point we were going to buy a house, were on top of things, than life went to HELL... prices went up, and life is CRAP
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• When I was on a strict budget we use to buy everything in bulk and share it between three houses. Make trips worth more by driving the one area that has all the stores we needed. Try to drive on the highway more then street to save gas . I clipped coupons for everything and found store which had specials all the time.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have a budget, I have no money so I cant spend literally a dime. I went from being a RN and making over $60,000 a year. I got hit by a car last year and now I cant work.I get money now and than from my insurance company because the girl that hit me had no licence no insurance and drugs in the car.
    It just shows you how things change in a bink of an eye.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2011