declaw?

should i get my cat declawed if shes an indoor out door cat?

mamaslove4ever

Asked by mamaslove4ever at 2:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Pets

• My vet recommended that I front declaw my cat. She is indoor only but we both agreed just in case she got out we left the back claws. She was jumping on my son and starting to go for the furniture and he said it would be for the best. Also like a pp said, she was perfectly fine the day after surgery. Jumping around two days after.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• if she's STRICTLY indoor yes you can get her declawed. If there is ANY chance you will let her outside ABSOLUTELY not! Cats use their claws as defense. If you declaw your cat and let her outside it is basically a death sentence. We have 2 cats who are declawed. They are never let outside.. in fact they are scared whenever we open a door to the outside!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No I don't feel like an cat who is going to be going outside should be declawed.  That's how they defend themselves babe.  The choice is yours of course, just throwing my 2 cents in.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• thats what i was thinking but my friend wants to pay for it because his cats declawed. his cat also lives in a different town i really dont know his logical thinking on this one
    mamaslove4ever

Comment by mamaslove4ever (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Of course, they can still bite but their main defense is their claws.  I don't understand it either, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No because if the cat gets chased by a dog or orther animal it wont be able to climb a tree or anything else. Also, ppl I know that have declawed their cat have said its excruciatingly painful for the cat for a long time afterwards.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If u want a indoor cat and will not be going out anywhere,. declawing is would be good advice, for it will save wear and tear your couch when the cat is stretching and when they start to claw the couch, also will protect u from getting scratched . But I dont't know about a cat going in and out. There will be to many dangers, the cat can get hit from a car, or the cat might bring a disease inside your home,. She can get pregnant and more cats will be added t the already growing population of cats. So if u o let her go outside get her fixed so she can't get pregnant.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• she is fixed i got her from the humane society, if she doesnt go out she gets a bit grumpy and wont stop meowing, i think she has tried to open the door herself shes always reaching up to the door knob and it looks like shes tying to turn it.
    mamaslove4ever

Comment by mamaslove4ever (original poster) at 3:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• ", ppl I know that have declawed their cat have said its excruciatingly painful for the cat for a long time afterwards."
    That is not TRUE....I have always declawd my cats, and its not "excruciatingly painful. There will be a little discomfort, ands it doesn't last for long.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I just read my post, and I am sorry that u misunderstood me. All I tried to do was explain to mama and give some of the differences on the cat indoor or not, not do the both of them at once. And think the cat would be safer inside.
    @ mama--
    if she doesnt go out she gets a bit grumpy and wont stop meowing" That is typical when cats move to another home In sense, they are homesick., and lonely. As for her wanting to be let outside, many cats do love to be outside, so I have another idea. Buy harness and a leash, and then the cat can be outside and u can without the danger of her some where else and getting hurt. I can walk my cat with a leash, just like people to dogs. And oh boy did I get some weird looks from people. The cat will NOT like this harness at all ! It will take a fews days until the cat realizes that the leash means she gets to go out.GL
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2011