what type of dog should i get?

I know its 4 years from now but after i graduate i want to get a dog. i was thinking a great dane for myself ( i know i have to share with my family) and also an other one for my kids. my plan is to get both as puppies so they grow up to be best friends so i dont think it matters the size difference. any ideas on what other dog to get?

mamaslove4ever

Asked by mamaslove4ever at 2:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Well, golden retrievers are always a hit but it depends on what you're looking for in a dog. Since you want a great dane you must like big dogs and golden retrievers are wonderful with kids. I have a collie now named Maggie and she just loves my daughter but she's very hyperactive and doesn't like to be indoors all the time. It all depends on what you want and what size house you have and what type of family you have. Border collies are good family dogs but require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation and labs are stubborn and hard to train but they are good dogs when trained right. For a smaller dog that is good with children cocker spaniels are always a favorite. My mother used to have a cockapoo (cocker spaniel/poodle in case you didn't know) and she was a good dog. Beagles are good and smart but they are hyper and can be stubborn. I've always been considered a dog expert so feel free to message me and ask for advice.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• maybe a labrador or a german shep. if you get a very small dog its always a risk that the grand dane could accidentally hurt the other one and also they would be able to play.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 3:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You can't go wrong with a golden retreiver.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• pitbull! wonderful kid and family dogs!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Great Danes are great family dogs. They are very good with kids. You may want to consider waiting a little between getting puppies, because it is easier to train one dog at a time. Training two at once can be a big problem, especially if you aren't very familiar with dog training.
    We have an Old English Sheepdog and he is fabulous with the kids.
    Terriers are easy to train, and love to learn tricks, which kids enjoy.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2011