Cavity and going to the dentist

Ok so this is my first cavity ever and I trying to find the most gentle dentist in town because first of all, dh said having a cavity filled hurts like crazy, second I have sensitive gums and not much if any tolerance to needles. What exactly can I expect at the dentist? I want to get them filled with the white stuff too and not the black stuff. The cavity on my tooth is a tiny black spot way in the back on the tooth next to my wisdom tooth. It doesn't hurt one bit and its been there awhile because I'm also not sure what they are going to charge for this although we do have dental insurance its iffy what they cover on the website. It doesn't hurt not the slightest bit but a coworker of dh who used to be a dental hygienist said that it could be "mushrooming on the inside" whatever that means. Dh said it was a cavity and I believe him. What can I do to avoid pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Health

• My FIL has a huge fear of dentists so I did some calling around for him to find one that would acknowledge that fear and work with him. Start calling dentists who take your insurance (listed at the website for your insurance) and explain your situation. I was very detailed and specific when I called for my FIL. We found someone who he is thrilled with and he is getting the care he needs. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't know where you live, I am in Europe and you can ask for an injection here. It's done on your gum with a tiny needle and when I say tiny, I really do mean TINY. You don't feel anything. If you are really scared of the needle, he can put freezing spray before he does it so you won't feel anything at ALL. When I had my first cavity, I was 25, I managed to avoid it that long cause I am terrified of dentists too. But my experience was even worse, cause as it turned out, it was a lot worse. Anyway, if your adrenaline is up cause of the fear, you might have to have the injection twice or even three times. I had it 3 times in a row but I am telling you, there is no bigger wuss of the dentist than me and I still didn't feel the injection. Ask for as much pain relief as you can. A filling is really not a big deal, it doesn't hurt and it will be over fast, depending on your dentist's work and skill. Don't worry about it.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 3:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Oh and also, definitely pick a dentist with experience in dealing with ppl afraid of the dentist, not everyone has the patience for it and I am really not into dentists who want to get it over with - I want to take my time, as I am afraid a lot. You'll be fine, really don't worry about it, it'll be over before you know it, try to relax and eat lightly before you go.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 3:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• There are many reasons for a "black spot" to be present. Some common ones include a stained pit or fissure. Sometimes food debris or stains can accumulate within the fissure or pit itself and make the area black. Some of these are harmless and is just crud that builds up in the fissure. Other times they may be signs of a small cavity developing. Not all cavities cause pain.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Where I am, there are dentists specifically for dentaphobics. But I don't know where you are. I would relax if I were you and this is coming from a person who is TERRIFIED of the dentist. Literally terrified, when I got up from the chair in my last filling, the chair had a huge stain of sweat cause I was sweating like crazy, I'm horrified. But the filling is still not painful and like I told you, have a talk before you go in, tell the dentist how you feel about everything and ask for the maximum of pain relief they can offer. Good luck and definitely eat something before you go - I am always telling ppl that cause I made that mistake and when I got up, I felt ready to faint. Don't worry!
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 4:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I know how you feel.As I said I am horrified by dentists, I have a phobia. I went in for a simple cavity - as I thought it was - and it turns out I stayed there for 3 hours. 3 anesthetic injections didn't work on me cause my adrenaline rush kicked in so I had a fourth one done and that one finally kicked in. My point is, tell them to do as much as it takes to you. Tooth pain is extremely painful and not to be toyed with, for me anyway. Ask your doctor to give you whatever it takes and if you get to the point where nothing works, then I would go with Twilight sleep. A lot of doctors do it here but I am not from the US so I don't know how it works there, but you can always ask. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_sleep You can read about it here. I think since you are so afraid, this will work great for you. Also, fillings really do NOT hurt, assuming you have the right numbness and painkillers. Mine didn't hurt cause I was
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 5:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Totally numb. So read about twilight sleep, I think it's just what you need. Find out if they do it there and you should be great.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• don't like dentist as well, they can put you to sleep and wake up with some pain
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'm actually considering a kid dentist if they will let me lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Anon, I've had this many many months and I can feel it slightly when I rub my tounge over it. That's how I discovered it. It feels to me like it is slightly pitted.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2011