• In the Spotlight:

Baby fat on a cat??

My cat is humongous. She is only 10 months old and already weighs around 18 lbs. What I don't understand is how she got that way. She is VERY active and has a healthy diet. I called the vet to talk to them about it and make an appointment and they told me it was probably just baby fat, and that they couldn't get me in until JANUARY. Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I be worried about it?

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pets

• BTW...if it's a female that's spayed...they do get a little fat pouch...just like people..hehe...but it shouldn't be HUGE. So if your kitty keeps a little belly, consider it her "figure". But not until AFTER she loses some weight!
    stephanie.rose

Answer by stephanie.rose at 2:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Do you feed her table food at all or only kitten food? You are sure she doesn't have worms? Is there another vet who can get you in sooner? Not that you need to go sooner except that you are concerned and should be able to get in if you want to, not wait for 2 months. She could be a big breed of cats. I've never had one so young be so big. Does she look chubby or is she just a heavy cat with lots of muscles?

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• That's a hell of a lot of baby fat. Wow. I had an 18 pound cat once, and he was obese. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they need meat and only meat. Dry cat food has all kinds of non-meat junk in it. So try switching to meat-only wet food, limit treats, and no table scraps. When I did that with my 18 pounder, the fat just melted off and he was svelt in no time. However, it was too late. He had already developed heart disease and died soon after of congestive heart failure. So don't wait. Put that kitty on a diet.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Depends on the size of your cat. My cats are both heavy, but they also are very tall and just BIG. Do you still have her on kitten food? That tends to be fattier, I might switch to an adult wet food and don't overfeed her. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• She gets nothing but dry kitten food. I check her poo all the time she does not have worms. I have been to other vets in the area and don't like any of them, and now I'm starting to wonder about this one. We knew when we got her that she was going to be big, she had really thick fur and was already a little big for her age. She does have a lot of muscle, like I said she is very active. After all she does spend most of her time running away from my daughter lol. Other than that though, there is a little sac type thing hanging from her belly that is pure fat. It's confusing to me..
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm sorry I meant dry cat food, we switched her from kitten food a few months ago hoping that she wouldn't have to eat so much to fill up.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No more dry food. Switch to wet. That sac of belly fat most likely means she's overweight. If you're concerned about her teeth, give her a few crunchy treats per day.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Switching to WET FOOD can do more bad than good... Making their POOO smell horrible for one..  I have worked in a vets office for 2 years before i had my kids. giving her a multivitamin will help .making sure she isn't lacking in the thyroid hormone which helps with digestion, and helping when i tell you the next step , , Giving her a limited amount of the food will help...breaking this up 4 times 5 times a day. a bowl should last her ALL DAY! And the MultiVitamin WILL keep her healthy because you dont want to give her a low cal diet, and switch to a high fat diet, Besides the food change, take about 15 minutes a day and get kitty to play! An old fishing pole or just a rod of some kind with string and a catnip toy, feathers, etc. that he can chase will work wonders. Many of our furry kids gain weight for the same reason our kids and adults do, more intake than work off.Good luck.

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I had an 18 lb. kitty, too. He was overall just a "big boy"--In fact, he could stretch and reach up 3/4 of our couch and also reach for the door handle on our front door!! He didn't "look" fat, except for a little belly hang in one small spot of his stomach--Other than that, he was maybe alittle "rounder-looking" when sitting and that's really the only time he looked obese.

When we got him from the Animal Shelter, he was 2-3 yrs. old and weighed 13 lbs. then! After a year, he went up to 18, so the vet said to put him on a diet--At the time (1998), we had to buy prescription diet food from their office--After awhile, we could buy it over the counter at pet stores--We mainly used Hills Science Diet Lite and Iams Lite.

Still, he averaged about 14-15 lbs. for years on that diet alone!--Nothing else and we actually fed him less than the bag called for!
    MomToYoungerSis

Answer by MomToYoungerSis at 12:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I agree with the wet cat food...it's not the best idea. I had an obese cat and the vet told me NEVER to give it to my cat, except for a treat. My cat was a habitual over-eater. I had to ration out his food. I bought an auto-feeder that fed him the correct amount 3 times a day. They don't need much. Ask your vet the proper amount of food, or until you actually SEE the vet, follow the bag. My cat lost the weight very quickly. But if food was out in the open he would engorge himself again. I fed him Iams Lite. The auto-feeder was $70-80 but it was way worth my cats health. I bought it at PetSmart...
    stephanie.rose

Answer by stephanie.rose at 2:03 AM on Nov. 16, 2008