My poor baby!

My poor little 8 y/o dau has been battling a winter cold for almost A MONTH now! We were at the Dr. 2 wks ago b/c all the drainage started an ear infection. Yesterday they called in a stronger antibiotic b/c now it's in her other ear & she seems more congested than ever! Have any of you had you or your child's illness like this last this long? We need to start buying tissues in bulk! My poor baby :(

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Health

• My son who is 5 years old also has been battling a cold. I honestly feel since he started school, is when he has brought all of this home..lol. His colds have come and gone. Now the latest he has a sinus infection, so he is on Amoxicillin. It can get frustrating. But, I think with all the children at school it is hard not to catch some of those germs. I have heard other moms complaining this year has just been awful with children being sick. I hope your daughter gets better. Plenty of chicken noodle soup and fluids...
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You need to stress to a dr when they say your child needs an antibiotic to actually TEST for WHICH antibiotic so that it kills the right virus. Having to take a second round of antibiotics now is not good. For one, its killing off the good bacteria that helps fight off illnesses and can cause yeast infections and two, it raises the chances for antibiotic resistance and creates super bugs meaning your kid isn't going to be able to fight things off as well now, has a lower immunity and if your kid gets MRSA or something like that, antibiotics may not help at all. A kid having a cold for a month is ridiculous.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• They should check her immune system, there might be a problem there - maybe a white blood cell count could be in order.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have come into contact with many people this year who have cold symptoms for months. Many of their docs try to pass it off eventually that it is allergies but allergy treatments do not work for them.
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2011