Got to ask - let's talk about that woman in Tampa who shot her teens...

OK - we can demonize her, maybe deservably so. However, where were her support systems when she needed them? Her mother knew she was depressed, her husband was away in Qatar (Army Intelligence). Didn't anyone see the trouble her kids were causing her? I just think after reading the story that someone could have stepped in....

We are parents of teens....we all know how difficult they can be. Where were her friends???

edited to include link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41319561/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

cerealmom2

Asked by cerealmom2 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think any of us can understand what could drive a mother to murder her children - Susan Smith who drove her car into a lake in SC with her 2 toddler boys strapped in their carseats, the woman that drowned all 5 of her children, the mayor in TX that shot her daughter the day before she was to have left for college.....just to name a few that jump to mind. In Fayetteville, NC in 2009 a man shot and killed his 2 teenaged children, his wife and then himself. Afterwards, friends and family said they had noticed signs of depression or that he didn't seem to be himself but had NO idea (who ever would??) that he could do anything like what he did. All anyone can do is pray for strength and comfort for that family.
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 6:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I see your point to some extent. But lets face it, we ALL have our difficulties w/ our children from time to time. BUT we DONT shoot them for being mouthy or bratty. Geeze- there'd be no kids left if every parent snapped like that. I bet, just like in most of these cases, the family is scratching their heads b/c they never saw THIS coming- and didnt think she'd ever do such a thing. How awful for everyone involved. Thoughts & prayers to that poor family.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think sometimes in these cases the familys are scratching their heads because they didn't want to see the writing on the walls to some extent. I mean if someone is depressed and trying to make it look like they aren't there are little signs that show through, things they say and stuff like that. I do understand your point and I know I might go crazy sometimes without my friends, I think they help keep me a better parent. I do think someone has to have some mental problems or other issues to do something like this, mrsmom110 you are right when you say we all have difficulties and we don't kill them which leads me to believe these people have issues.

It is a very sad story all around no matter what the reason. My thoughts and prayers go out to the whole family!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I'm sorry, I don't feel any type of patience for this woman. I know what it's like to be in a deep depression. I know what it's like when you feel that there is no way out. I also know what it's like when kids talk back. I know the frustrations, just like any parent, but I would never kill them for being mouthy. And as far as "snapping", this woman was driving her son to soccer practice and then came home and shot her daughter. How many people actually carry their gun with them in the car? Think about any time when you have become so angry that you lost it, did you stay angry like that for hours, minutes? I think the woman had time to cool off. I think this premeditated.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Thank you for giving me a new insight as I read this story, without your post I would not have seen the mother's side in all of this. I don't understand how a mom can be driven to hurt, much less kill, her children. I do see where you are coming from, though, her support system really seemed to have failed. It's really just a sad state for everyone involved.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• yeah, i wouldve just ran away or something..let the kids see what its like to care for themselves. no need for a shoot out
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I have 3 teens myself and there are some days I'd like to through one of them out the window. I've even been known to go for a drive by myself just so I can scream and yell and tell them off while they're not in the car. But I'd hope I'd never get to the point of hating my kids so much that I'd kill them.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I looked at her picture on MSNBC.com and she looked like she was telling off the cop that was taking her in. It looks like she just snapped.
    cerealmom2

Comment by cerealmom2 (original poster) at 7:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I just looked at her and I felt terrible, like the kids might have been going through their normal teen angst, but she just looked so troubled that I said to myself "there but for the grace of a higher power go all of us..."

What keeps us from losing it might have been a better question. I just let the aggravating things my son says roll off my back. When does a mom just disconnect from reality and start taking the teen too seriously....
    cerealmom2

Comment by cerealmom2 (original poster) at 7:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Oh my! What a tragedy! This is the first I've heard of this story (my son has been holding the tv hostage). It does sound like she snapped. Not that, that is any type of an excuse. I wonder how long this woman has been going off the deep end with no one noticing. I wonder how many of us have friends that are truly willing to step up when they see another mom looking like they are ready to snap in any way, let alone on the verge of homicide? I have no family that lives near me but I have alot of friends. Friends that I go on play dates with, friends that I go out for a girls night out with or to the movies with, friends that I chat on the phone with....with that said, when my husband was away for 50 days this past summer not one of them offered to lend a helping hand to take the kids for even an hour, Luckily, I never felt as though I was going to snap although I was stressed and crabby at times for sure.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2011