what can i do for my 18 day old.. she has a congested nose and sneezin.. no fever or cough..

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 7:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is your room warm enough or is she wearing enough warm clothing? My son was congested till he's a month old and my ped said it's normal. You can raise the bed a little, make sure the room is very clean and dust free. Also a humidfier will help and get saline from store.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 7:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• When my DD's nose gets like that, I like to do the vapor baths for her. I buy the Johnson's brand, Soothing vapor bath soap, that comes in like a blueish/greenish bottle and pour a lot over running water for a soothing bubble bath.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• a humidifier will help
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 8:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• saline drops. Is it safe to use Vapor Bath on a baby that young?
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 8:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would elevate her head while she is lying down or sleeping. They sell wedges that elevate the babies head or roll/fold a soft towel for under her head. Also you can gently drip saline drops into her nose, don't spray hard. Test it out in your hand first. I used Ocean Nasal spray, I think it is natural without chemicals. Then when it runs from her nose, gently dab away the fluid. If you keep her head elevated, that will drain her sinuses. If she runs a fever, call the Pediatrician ASAP. hope she feels better soon :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Have you called the Dr? It's not normal for a baby that young to get sick. Use a cool mist humidifier and if she seems any worse get her to the Dr. RSV in young babies is very dangerous. My daughter spent a week in the hospital at 3 months with it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I was told that a baby born by cesearean (as mine was) might be a little more mucous-y for a while because all the amniotic fluid and gunk wasn't forced out of their nose and lungs during the trip down the birth canal. That could be the case...but never hesitate to call your babe's pediatrician. That's what they're there for. My baby is still pretty sneezy and she's 10 weeks old. The dr. doesn't seem concerned, its winter and dry in the house (and we have a dog.) As long as there's no signs of fever and your babe is able to breathe ok (not turning blue) I don't think its anything that requires a trip to the ER.
    ummjen

Answer by ummjen at 12:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Get the nose sucker, saline drops and a humidifier. I had the same problem with my baby when she was a couple weeks old, my pedi gave them that advice.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• DO NOT use vapor bath on a baby younger then 6 mos only thing you can do is keep her suctioned with the bulb they gave you at the hospital
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 4:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Use a humidifier or vaporizer when she's sleeping. Saline drops are safe to break up mucous in the nose, but if you're nursing you can use breast milk in the nose instead. Sit with her a few times a day in the bathroom with the shower running hot water, and let the room get steamy. That helps break up the mucous as well. I also agree with elevating the head of her sleeping surface, usually (if she's in a crib) by placing a pillow UNDER the head of the mattress. I also would check in with the doctor, just to make sure it IS just a cold, seeing that she is so young.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2011