Has this ever happened to you?

You have this big news, so you want tell a friend on FB they are like "What is it?", so you tell em and...nothing???

I told them a former friend of ours had gotten arrested...big news to me... and their response a few hours later was an invite to a video game on FB....

I mean come on. I know we haven't talked for a long time, but at least I'm trying to build a dialogue here... its like they don't care. And maybe they don't and still see me as they  knew me back then, but it breaks my heart a little.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• Sometimes relationships with people we used to know..or once knew..are not supposed to last. Some people are in our lives for season others a lifetime. Maybe there is a reason we all drift apart and go our own ways. I don't use FB, I figure if people want to talk to me they can call me or email me. If they cant reach me- if there were that close of a friend they can contact one of my handful of family members that use FB. FB has too much drama.. and it often leads to hurt feelings or some crap likt that.

Don't let this get you down, just know it for what it is.. They are listed as a "friend"..when reality they are an acquaintance.. There is nothing wrong with that. :)

peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 11:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes it has happened to me. There could be a lot of reasons as to why they could have not responded to it. Rather than feel like damn you could have said something maybe you should try talking to them and see what's the deal.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 7:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Don't epxect anything from your facebook friends. Maybe she generally didn't think it was a big deal. Or maybe, talking about others is not her thing. I have plenty of friends who refuse to talk about others & "gossip". Some people refuse to gossip. You never really know the real reason she didn't message you back.

You're making the problem though. You're being over emotional about it. She didn't reply & now you're feeling down on yourself for it, that is ridiculous. I think you are reading into this way too much. Maybe she has not had time to write you a whole message yet, you never know. But, you are taking it way too personally.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Makes me feel pushy, needy and a bit desperate to do that. I guess in my mind, if they are on FB, they probably have the time to talk. Maybe not, but I'd think I'd get some response... not an invite to a video game and have the other news completely ignored. Honestly, I'm just trying to find some common ground to start conversation with. Maybe trying to rehash old relationships isn't the way to go, I thought common history would be enough, I guess not after awhile.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You're right, Samurai and if I had more going on in my life, I know I wouldn't be. I'm just so unfulfilled right now socially and personally. I am looking into activities for myself (college courses, the gym) but I still lack the social part. Tired of hearing about DHs work issues and about my kid's video games and cartoons. I need a bit more. You are right, tho. I shouldn't really care and there's still that part of me that knows it and can also see it from their perspective.

From their aspect, I'm someone from a million years ago suddenly making an appearance an expecting to pick up where we left off after we've all moved on and had a life and that's crazy. I know that. Just kinda lonely and desperate I guess. Have no idea what to do. I looked into the past because I had nothing to look to in the present.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2011