I haven't watched the news in days... what exactly is going on in Egypt?

Having a newborn is keeping me from watching the news (or anything for that matter). I tried to watch today but am confused about what's going on in Egypt. Can someone tell me how it all started and why it's happening? The reporters are only updating and so I'm totally lost...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• they are tired of their "President" who has held office for 30 years and now wants his son to inherit the office. The are tryign to hold peaceful protests but the police aren't letting them. I pray for a good solution that does not put extremist in charge

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Their president is more of a dictator who has been in office for 30 years. They have high unemployment and food prices and initially asked that something be done about that. Now they just want new leadership. So they are protesting and trying to overthrow their Government.

Answer by gemgem at 8:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Thanks to this computer age, facebook and twitter they were able to organize. Two thirds of Egypt's 79 million people are under the age of 30.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I dont know but it actually started in Tunisia a couple weeks ago they did the same thing, then Egypt followed. Now it is spreading around the middle east.

Answer by gemgem at 8:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• There is nothing peaceful about these protests.
    __________________
    Why do you say that. The protesters started out unarmed. They were peaceful until the police started shooting people. And before you go off on a tangent about the police, keep in mind that their police are violent and corrupt. They can kill people on a whim with no consequence. The people want nothing more than their right to a democratically elected government.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Thank you. All they were talking about was the protests and violence and weren't saying how it all began.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I just saw a few posts that it's happening now in other places like Yemen and Jordan. Scary stuff...
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• So it's the younger generation that are doing the protesting?

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Does this have anything to do with religion or is it just 'political'?
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• The are tryign to hold peaceful protests but the police aren't letting them.

Many have joined them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2011