WHAT DO U DO IF YOUR 9 YR OLD DAUGHTER ASK U WHAT IS PORN?

desi-boo

Asked by desi-boo at 8:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Lie. Then ask her where she heard that word and pray she hasn't seen any.

There's some things children should never know about.

I'm all for lying to kids if it shields them.
    Anonymous

• I would ask her where she heard that word and what she thought it was. You don't have to tell her everything if she doesnt know yet. find out what she knows then fiqure what is the best way to answer her.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 9:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I somewhat agree with the lying but be careful because you know what they will hear in school and you dont want your child thinking she can not come to you and get a truthful answer. JMO
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 9:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would ask her what she thought it was and where she heard about it. If she had questions I would answer them. If she already knows about sex, then it would sufficient to tell her that it is a certain kind of movie about sex that is just for grown ups, and not everybody likes it or thinks it is okay.
    Anonymous

• Ask her where she heard about porn and what the person told her. Then correct anything she got wrong with simple, correct information. No lectures on how it degrades women, they aren't age appropriate.

Make sure she knows that you don't disapprove of her asking about it - your tone of voice is going to scream "disapproval" since I'm sure you don't approve of porn. She needs to know, in simple terms, why you don't like it.

And she really, really needs to know that you will answer her questions honestly. If she hasn't started her period yet, she will soon and some of her classmates already have. If you aren't honest NOW, she won't expect you to be honest when she has questions then or when she's 15 and some boy is feeding her the "you can't get pregnant the first time" line.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Tell her the truth, that every good thing (sex is good within marriage) can be perverted, or taken too far as in pornography. You don't have to go into it too much if she is embarassed but she is asking because she wants to know, so it is being talked about somwehere.

Cookies taste good but if we eat them all day long, our teeth will rot out, and sex is God given and has a place in the home, but porn is where sex has been perverted and put out in public which defiles women, defiles God, defiles marriage.

family.org has lots of good info...

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I definitely would not lie to her. You want her to be able to come to you for other things. Just like others said, you should ask her how she her about that and explain a little bit about it. You can give a short truthful answer without going into a lot of detail....
    Anonymous

• Was supposed to say heard. Sorry
    Anonymous

• Tell her the truth of course. At least I would. My phrasing would be very careful but I would be proud my daughter came to me and asked me for information. Answer her honestly now and she will continue to come to you in the future. "Porn: a adult magazine, picture, or movie where the adults are often naked and doing private adult things." This is a time to do some education. Let her know that "most people in this world are good but that sometimes there are people who do bad things and they sometimes take pictures of children who are naked. This is called child pornography and it is illegal and against the law." Then tell her that adult pornography is only for grown ups (if you disagree with porn insert why here) but children should NEVER see it. Ask her to tell you if anyone ever tries to take pictures of her private parts or she sees pictures of naked people.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• First I would ask her where she learned the word. Then if it seems reasonable (like some show I or dad was watching, or the news.) I would explain that it was a movie or pictures of naked people doing sex acts. I would keep my explainations very simple and not in detail. I would answer questions minimally. I would also echo what the pp said about child pornography and sex involving children. My kids all know (they are older) that noone can touch their bodies without mom or dad's permission. That they are too young to give permission. And that that permission is restricted to needs such as a doctor.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2008