my 2 year old boy wont talk and we are trying to potty train-

If he wont talk- to tell us when or if he needs a diaper change, how can we move on to the next step of potty training. we dont want to wait too much longer to start, so how do we incourage him to start showing signs that he understands what going potty means? Any help or ideas?

shan_nana

Asked by shan_nana at 9:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He isn't ready yet, he will let you know. give him time.
    Anonymous

• Try to encourage him by showing him the potty,show him something that he may enjoy as a treat to go in there,take off the diaper and put him on the potty. of course he will not like it , but after show him the prize for doing this.in other words;it's just a gameto them, that is how i got my children out of the diapers and on the potty to the toilet,there is no disiplining involved make it fun.im sure he will get the idea,you may have to wait though children muture at different rates.good luck!
    cherylious68

Answer by cherylious68 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i am going thru the same thing!!! my son will be 2 in march and will not talk... he will point to his diaper after he pees or poops, but that is all i get from him....gl... if u get any succesful tips PLEASE send me a message and let me know :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son just truned two and we tried to start the potty training. No go. His teachers at his day program actually asked us to put him back in diapers. He just wasn't ready. The funny thing is he will actually tell us, "I'm pooping." But for whatever reason he is scared to death of going and sitting on the potty. So no pressure. He's back in diapers, the potty chair is out, he sits for fun only, and we read stories like Everybody Poops. Very funny book of animals who are pooping here and there. (by the way a one hump camel makes a one hump poop and a two hump camel makes a two hump poop. Only kidding! ---from the book) We also watch the Potty Elmo DVD occassionally. Don't forget role models. Watching family poop and pee is always a sure hit. Let them put tiolet paper in the bowel that has been used and they flush. Hours of entertainment.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son didn't speak for the longest time. He was close to three years old before he finally did. We too were so worried something was wrong, we even had his hearing tested a couple of times. I thought for sure he was autistic. Finally he just started spouting words. The doctors claimed that his older sister was doing the talking for him, but that was not the case. I am not sure what made him start talking, I guess he finally had something to say. One thing that helps is to really encourage, which I am sure your doing already. Try to focus on small things like "if you want this drink, say please" and keep at it with stuff like that, I know eventually he will end up on the floor throwing a wing-ding, so don't keep it going past that point, but he'll get the idea.
    rugrats3

Answer by rugrats3 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008