My one year old learned to get out of his crib but is not yet ready for a toddler bed as he would never stay in it what can I do?!?

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest was the same age when she figured her crib out. SO I put a gate up at her door, baby proofed the heck out of her room and put her crib mattress on the floor so she could not hurt herself.
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• how did you ever get her to go to sleep my son would be up all night if I did that....
    MrsMeyers925

Comment by MrsMeyers925 (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I had the same issue with my son. I had one of the convertible cribs so I just ended up taking the front railing off of it so it was open like a day bed. Yes, he did climb out, but I figured it was alot safer for him to do that than for him to climb over the top of the crib lol. After a while he started staying in bed on his own. Just make sure everything is picked up and there are no choking hazzards, ect anywhere.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Three words- Cozy Crib Tent!
    Trinkett1010

Answer by Trinkett1010 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• never heard of it whats that?
    MrsMeyers925

Comment by MrsMeyers925 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• we put the playpen upside over it. too heavy to lift for them
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• We actually put a very thin layer of Vaseline on the crib so that my DD couldn't get good footing and eventually gave up trying. It has been almost 2 years since she has tried to climb out. she is just over 2 1/2 and we tried taking the side off her crib and she asked for it to be closed again. That to me says that she needs the security still. I would give a few of these suggestions a try before you leave them to their own devices in their bedroom.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree, Crib Tents work great! My friend has one for her son.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I would say toddler bed. They learn to go to the bed by themselves if you let them do that and don't distract them by being around. If they get bored they go to the bed. Or you can just pet his back or bottom until he falls asleep. If it is enough warm for him it is something like max. 10 mins. Good luck mummy:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Ive heard of those crib net/tents, they are like a canopy. I didnt use one as my kids hated the crib!! They slept in the bassinet till 2 months, then with me for another year, then at 15 months went into a single bed. They did fine, and didnt fall out either ;)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2011