From the looks of a person, can you differ between wether somebody is Chinese, Japanese or from Vietnam?

I don't have many asian friends, but the one's I do have are like: "yeah, of course, you can see it straight away!" lol I don't see it.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I used to think Chinese were a bit broader in build, but I don't know if thats still true. I usually go by their names. Japan has pretty distinctive names (ie Tokugawa, Fujikuni, Osaka, etc). China and Korea have very short one syllable names many times (ie Chung, Le, Seung, etc).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My one friend is Korean. She can tell. She tried to explain it to me once, but I just couldn't see what she was talking about.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Oh, I do have to say though, last summer we were touring this really gorgeous park - lots of cherry trees, etc - on this historic Japanese site. Most Japanese people don't just walk around in traditional dress (kimonos, etc), but you do see people in them sometimes - especially around festival times, etc (and there are a lot of festivals and stuff during the summer).

Well, while we were there, we saw this guy walking with these two women. He was in "western style" clothes - jeans, button up the front shirt, tennis shoes... They were both in GORGEOUS kimonos - hair all done, etc. We stopped them, very politely, did the "small bow" with our heads, complemented them, and asked them if we could please take their picture. They giggled and said yes. After we took their picture, they told us they were tourists from Korea :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I can usually tell but I have worked with people from all over the world and been in school with many international students. When you see and know so many people you just sorf of recognize the facial features after a while.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I can tell by their eyes.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yes, they look totally different. They whole face and eyes are just so different. :) I think it is all about how much someone care for marks on the face and in the body language. If you've ever met and notice different type of people than you will recognize them again. I have many different type of friends in London. And I can recognize more and more different type of people:) You can if you care:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I don't even try to tell the difference.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Most of the time I can. The Vietnamese people generally have darker skin and look mixed with a hispanic culture of some sort. Chinese people tend to have smaller and rounder faces, with smaller eyes and Japanese people tend to have longer faces with larger eyes.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• For a long time, I couldn't, because honestly, I'm crap at being able to id people's nationality. But I've been living in Japan for like a year and a half now, and honestly sometimes you really can tell. Though I think a lot of it is sort of like being able to tell an American and a European - a lot of it is how you carry yourself, dress, etc. that sort of gives you away.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You actually can. In Africa you can even tell a person's tribe by how they look. I can usually spot a Korean, but I think that is because I have a best friend who is Korean and can see similar features in other Koreans.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2011