Where are you putting your car seat?

My son will be a year old next month and we plan to face him forward at that time. His weight and height meet all the requirements, but I am debating. Do I place his seat in the middle to prevent him being possibly harmed by someone hitting the side of the vehicle or is that too riskywith head on or getting rear ended? Are your children in the middle or behind one of the front seats? I just can't decide which sounds the safest? Thanks for ANY feedback..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest is in the middle.
    Anonymous

• The middle is the safest spot. Lots of studies confirm this. But you also have to consider how hard it is to get him in and out of that middle spot. If you strain your back doing it, that's not the best spot for him. The second best spot is behind the passenger, not behind the driver.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• We have the car seat behind the passenger seat in both cars, but I wonder if it would be safer in the middle.
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 9:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If you can put it in the middle (and still get your little guy in and out), I'd go for that...some cars aren't set up to have a middle car seat, though, so you'll have to look into that.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You can always call your local police department (they do carseat inspections and safety training). They should know where the safest place would be. Let me know what you find out; I'll be turning my son around several months down the road.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• the way my car is, i HAVE to have him behind the drivers seat (my seat) or the carseat will not fit. So it really depnds on the car. BTW: why are you forward facing him? just because he turns a year, and meets requirements, rear facing is still safer. Just wondering...
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 2:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Well he is bigger than some 2 year olds! He is 25+ lbs and over 30 inches tall. I have always read it is safe and am completely content with that. I know that others choose to keep their child rear facing, but I WILL be turning MY child around on his 1 year birthday. I am a competant mother and don't need to be felt like I am doing something wrong when I'm NOT. I did NOT expect to be questioned on MY choice:( wow
    Anonymous

• i have my daughter facing backwords now in the middle and once she hits 20lbs she will be facing forward in the middle. It is the best place for baby :)
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2008