What age do you think a child should be to have a cell phone?

virgo550

Asked by virgo550 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Old enough to pay the bill.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• when you feel they are responsible enough. Every kid is different. There's some adults that shouldn't have them lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I am going to give my daughter one at about 7-- But I want one that can only dial numbers that we program into it (like me, 911, grandma, etc.) And can't receive phone calls except from those same numbers. I really want it because of the family locater and I will always know where she is.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think the firefly kind (which only dials parents) is a good idea when they are old enough to go on sleepovers or do other things where Mom and Dad won't be present (to be handed over to the children only when going on such an outing). Other than that, my children will not get their own cell phones until they are at least 16, and they probably won't have constant access to them at that time.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My step son got one from his mom when he turned 9 and he's working on his third one and he will turn 10 in March. I tell my son who is begging for one now that he has to wait until he gets a job or starts playing school sports and will be gone during the week.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I think around the time that they are doing things without parental supervision, like going to the mall or the movies for safety reasons if you can afford a cell phone bill.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree with when you feel they are responsible enough. It all depends on the child. I would start our with a prepaid phone to to see how they are going to do with it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If she's old enough to get a job and pay the bill for it, then she can have one.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Our daughter has one.... She's in preschool but she also has an ipadvshes a technology junkie like her dad
    AlyOops

Answer by AlyOops at 10:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son did not have a cell phone until he was driving and had a job to pay the bill.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011