Who is Oden and how is He similar/different than the God of Abraham?

I know I can google it-but I find answers from those with personal experience to be more accurate ;)
In a nutshell-who is Oden- is He similar to the God of Abraham?
Is it possible we all believe in the same God but in a different context?
I am not talking about practice- I am asking about the "being" or "force"

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 9:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• there is a common thread in there some place, I just know there must be-

____________________

There are dozens... it has a lot to do with how conquering nations absorbed other nations and dealt with religion, by absorbing traditions of the land they were conquering to make it easier for the people to adjust to the new religion... in the end, I'm not entirely sure every single religion isn't worshiping the same individual or group of individuals. . .

Which is why i think it's SO important not to be judgmental. God has many names.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If you want to look at what unites start with the people and how to communicate with them. You are actually doing really good just by listening and not following up with the classic 'my god is better than yours you are all uneducated children that just do not understand christianity.' People that follow Odin are still people still mothers, still doing what they think is best for their family. That is what everyone does.

Insulting (not that you op are doing that here) by saying things like if you are not christians you are defiant children that do not know better is insulting and belittling. It is just as bad to say those things as it would be for me to say your god is an imaginary friend. I just wish more people would recognize that. To many get really upset when a non christians says those things, but will say the first part about all non christians and not recognize that they are doing the exact same thing.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It's spelled Odin.. And yes, you capitalize it. Odin is Father of the Gods in the Norse Pantheon. He was risen to favor mostly by the Vikings, and became known as the supreme god in the eighth and ninth centuries. Although Odin embodied deceit, violence and war, he also embodied many admirable qualities. He was the most knowledgeable god, with a great love for wisdom. He would willingly sacrifice himself for it. He is associated with wisdom, war, battle and death, as well as magic, poetry, prophecy, victory, and the hunt.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• All-father of the Norse Gods, father of Thor and Loki, Lord of Asgard. The Vikings and peoples of Scandanavia worshipped him
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Odin is nothing like God as in he never sacrificed himself or came to earth as a man

All you've demonstrated is that you know nothing about Odin. I get it, your faith depends on you believing your chosen deity is superior to all others, but that doesn't justify lying about what's known to keep that belief alive.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Seems so many paths lead to the same type of conclusion or outcome-where is the continuity in them-?

That's where it gets interesting. There are superficial similarities, but the very heart of the belief structure is completely removed from most other religions. Our values, our concept of honor, we do not have a golden rule. Often, when people "borrow" from Heathenry, they have to do a lot of rewriting and overlooking to make it fit into what they actually believe.  This isn't actually about the difference between the two religions, but it does a good job of explaining the difference in belief structures.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• NP, I totally forgot you were a Heathen. I shoul dhave just let you answer, since mineis coming more from my beliefs. And I am beginning to think my ideas of what the Heathen religion is about may be messed up because of the person I was getting them from.
    And, soyousay, I understand and thank you for just trying to learn about other beliefs. It's a refreshing change to the whole "You are wrong, I am right" attitude that is seen so frequently. Just contiue to ask your questions and try to find that common thread.
    And shaneagle, aren't you one of the ones that gets all bent out of shape when one of us "non-Christians answers a question about Christianity? Then why in the WOLRD are you answering a question that is so obviously not for Christians?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Popzaroo and Shaneagle, the OP is asking a question in the true spirit of learning and fellowship. You both admittedly know nothing about Odin but felt compelled to give biased answers. Does it make you stronger in your faith to attempt to belittle others? Why not stick around and just listen and learn.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I think I know where this is coming from. Did my response to your question last night bring this up? If it did, I just want to let you know that is not the god I follow. He was just the first one to pop in my head.
    Unlike the Christian god, most Pagan gods (Norse, Egyptian, Celtic and so on) only had certain powers. LIke some had the power of protection in times of war, while others had the power to heal. So, I guess that may be where the idea of he Catholic saints came from. Cause don't you pray to a different saint for different things?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Odin is nothing like Abraham. Odin is a god, Abraham is a man. There are similarities between the Eddas and Sagas and some biblical stories, however. Odin hung from a tree for a week with a wound in his side to learn the knowledge of runes. He is the father of gods, not the father of men, but there are other stories of the gods that loosely relate to parables about men in the bible. He's also the original Santa Claus, and that lore got twisted into the celebration of Christmas.

The AEsir are also wholly separate from a lot of other pagan pantheons. They do not have the same rule structure you'll find in most of the other Celtic/Anglo faiths or the Greek or Egyptian. It's why you'll see me occasionally "fighting" with other pagans here over rules and definitions, because we get lumped in with them, but we actually have very little in common.

If you're really interested, I can suggest some books for you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2011