How Can I Get My Son To Drink More Water ??

So I had a W.I.C. appt. today and they told me that my son (13 months) drinks too much milk. We do go through milk, but I thought it was good for him. He drinks prolly close to 4 cups a day and they say that's too much. They say that it will supress his appatite (I'm not seeing it, he has an awesome appatite) and that I need to decrese the milk by at least 1 cup. Also, they said he needs to drink more water, he doesn't drink any - he doesn't seem to like it. He only drinks about a cup of juice a day, so that's not it. HELP !!

ethans_mommy_07

Asked by ethans_mommy_07 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Well I dont know if this will work since he doesnt even drink juice that much but you could try putting just alittle bit of sugar in the water to give it a better taste then put some food coloring in it so that he thinks its juice, see if that works.
    Anonymous

• What does your doctor say? Go with your doctor's advice over the folks at WIC. But if you do want to cut down on milk (and I do think the general recommendation for kids that age is 2 cups a day), just don't offer anything else. He'll drink water when he gets thirsty. Bu if he knows there is a tastier option available, he'll hold out for that. I had the opposite problem. My son LOVES water and wouldn't drink milk. So after his nap I only offer milk. It took a few days (and I had to train daddy to stop giving in a fetching him a sippy of water), but now he drinks about a cup and a half of whole milk every afternoon, and he has learned to like it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If he drinks juice, dilute it with water but add more water than you do juice. My son (almost 19 months) won't drink straight water either, never has. So we have to sort of trick him with the juice. But next time you have a WIC appt. when/ if they ask about his juice intake, make sure you tell them that its more water than juice cuz they tend to get upset if your child has a lot of juice...I dont know, they're a little strange about that stuff. Good luck =D
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You could try the crystal light mix for water, mix a pitcher and just water it down even more so it just has a little flavor. I hate plain water and that is the only way I will drink it or the vitamin water or even the propel water with flavor. That is all I can think of, my son loves water and drinks it like there is a storage of it. Best of luck to you!!
    momma2JD

Answer by momma2JD at 9:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• One of the things I noticed with my kids is that if I put Juice or Milk in their cups any other time beside meal times they tend to drink it because it has flavor. When i cut back, giving them Milk at Breakfast and Dinner, Juice at snack and lunch, water any other time they seem to drink more water, mostly because they were thirsty, not just to drink it. I would try putting the water in a pitcher in the refrigerator. My kids thought they were getting some kind of treat when I did this, go figure!
    Trying this will keep them from being dependant on having to have something sweet in their water.

Be careful with things like propel and gatorades. They are high in electrolytes that can not only do damage to your teeth but there is also research on how it can cause problems with your heart as well. They are also made with sucralose which is kind of hard on the kidneys.
    CCmom05

Answer by CCmom05 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have never heard of milk being an appetite sup., - but ok if that is what they say... i would flavor my sons water with lemon or lime. trace amount - not to much just to make it pleasant to tste - and keep the water cold - tends to make a huge difference - you can also water down the milk - start with a little water, increasing it to half and half. Juice is just watered down sugar water - the sugar is processed, which int turn actually makes it worse for the body - the best and most natural juice I have found it the Welches 100% Juice in the freeze section - good luck

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 1:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Milk contains sugars, which are carbs, and proteins, which is why they are telling you it will suppress his appetite. It will also have an effect on his teeth as they come in if you're not careful.
    Water is very necessary and now is the time to develop the habit. Offer it more often than anything else. Get him used to it. Make sure your water tastes good...sounds odd, but some water has an off-taste. Use a filter, either in-line or at the tap. Not only will the water taste better, but you won't have any unnecessary chemicals, as can usually be found in tap water.
    I think all kids should get in the habit of drinking water, so I don't think it should be flavored all the time, but you can certainly add a bit of lemon or lime juice if he likes it. Also, as an alternative to juice, you can try "agua frescas" which are a combination of crushed fruit and water. Pineapple is my favorite.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'd be hesistant to offer water with sweeteners in it because of teeth and empty calories. Water when thirsty sounds good. I have heard of milk as filling, so I can see that it would suppress eating other foods. I agree, go with what the doctor says.

Answer by Bmat at 10:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I discovered WATAAH! in Long Island last summer. My kids and I got a sample during a concert. I thought it was pretty cool and I really like the bottle and the kid on it. Most importantly, my two boys got into it and loved the name! They started screaming it in the house, and got hooked into the website......I can't believe it...but it seems to work. If I give them WATAAH, they drink it and don't complain. It has no sugar and no colors....it takes like ordinary water. They like the one with electrolytes. The website is www.drinkwataah.com. Check it out....it works with my boys. They are drinking more water!
    mommymarissa814

Answer by mommymarissa814 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009