How can I convince my doctor...?

My job is very physically demanding- requiring me to walk at least 5 miles a day within a concrete building with poor heating and ventilation, up and down ladders, and moving boxes that can weigh up to 140 lbs. I am on a weigh restriction, which has changed my job duties little- they have no sympathy, and don't care about pregnant women.
I've been having pain in my feet, light-headed, dizziness, lower back pain, pelvic pain and generally being uncomfortable at my job.
Because of continuing issues, I'll be missing a lot of days and have already been reprimanded for missing work. I don't want to lose my job- but the health of my baby is more important than their bottom line!
We have an ample short term disability option at my job that will cover me for 26 weeks, 13 at 100% of my income, 13 at 80%.

My question is- how can I convince my doctor that it's time for me to go on leave? I know a lot of women who say their doctor leaves it up to them, but my midwife seemed reluctant to even discuss it. Any ideas?

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 9:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Health

• Change your midwife. Go to a real doctor. Tell them about your work and what is your problem with it. If you are pregnant you are not supposed to be in those conditions. If someone says no to you for something important than find another person who say yes. This is the secret of the life:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I agree with adriennfaklya. You could also be reassigned a desk job within the company. Any Dr. will write you a note for your well being.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• When I was prego first time I was teaching in a decrepit elementary building with 3 floors (no elevator) and no A/C. I worked in various classrooms on all three floors and was constantly running from classroom to classroom...we were also packing to move into a new building (in our spare time at work)...I had had it and was in so much pain. You situation is obviously much worse than mine was though! However, I flat out told my dr when I had two weeks left to go that I didn't want to work anymore. He looked over my chart and said that my blood pressure was a bit elevated and he wrote me an excuse...it was easy! However, when I presented the school with my excuse...they made my working conditions easier so that I could last for the last 2 weeks. And I did!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Go to another doctor. Tell them what is going on and why you are there and that you are concerned about your pregnancy and stress to the baby and your body because of your demanding job. Get a letter from them and go on disability. You can also go to your work and tell them its time to go on disability and you need to know what they need from you.

Answer by gemgem at 10:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Get rid of that midwife first. Second go to a dr or real OB and get checked out. your problems could be symptoms of something dangerous to you and your baby. Of course you may not be able to save your job, that's still up to your employer. At least you can have a healthy child.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• yeah no change your midwife and go to a Dr with my last pregnancy i worked at walmart. and standing on my feet for 8 hrs and dealing with the customers was putting me into early labor- Walmart didnt give a rats ass either so i quit. it was either my lame ass job or my baby.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• "go to a real doctor".

Midwives are experienced and capable practitioners. Their outcomes are as good or better than doctor's and their clients have a fraction the number of C-sections. Glad you guys are educated about them lol.

You could just tell her that you're having issues with your work duties and would like to go on leave. Don't let her be reluctant to talk about it, it's your health. And if she doesn't accomodate you then switch providers.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i dont have any problems with midwives, i saw one my whole last pregnancy and LOVED her (okay them, i saw more than 1 because i have an HMO), however an OB will probably more easily sign off on your disability
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i would listen to all of the people that answered your qustion and get a 2nd opinion
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2011