How long was your child sleeping in a crib for ?

A lady I know on FB has just announced that she just got her sons big boy bed up, " no more crib!" I was thinking WTF? He is 4 years old!! Isnt that a bit ...late? I dont know as my kids hated the crib and were in single beds at 15 months( and did great) I know her situation may have been way different, but realy 4 years old?

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine all switched from the crib to a single/full size bed around the age of 2, except for my 6 month old - she's still in the crib of course. Maybe he's been in a toddler bed? Or cosleeping with her?

Answer by missanc at 10:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Mine switched on his 2nd bday cause he got a car bed.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I moved my oldest out of her crib at 19 months and the transition was terrible. So, with my twins I put it off as long as I thought I possibly could. I moved them out of their cribs at 2 1/2, and the transition was so smooth it was a non-event.

My cousin's daughter is shorter, and she left her in the crib until after she turned 3.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My son was 2 1/2 when we switched him to a twin size

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My first was so happy in his crib. I think he would have slept there until he went to college! We switched him when he was 2.5 years and we needed it for our second. Let them stay there as long as they are happy. It doesn't matter............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I see nothing wrong, at 4, to sleep in a crib. I would love to have kept mine in a crib until that age, since then I'll know he has to stay put! I moved my son to a toddler bed at 15 months because he was trying to climb in and out. I had visions of him falling and breaking his neck, so I decided it was far better to let him wander his room. He loves it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• hmmmm yeah 4 is getting kind of old to still be in a crib lol. DD just moved to a bed at 25 months, but it was because we need the crib for a new baby otherwise she could have stayed a little longer since she wasn't climbing out.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My daughter is 2 (27 months) and is still in her crib. She hasn't figured out how to climb out yet and I'm waiting till tax return to buy her a toddler bed (which I'm excited for!). I'm hoping the transition goes smoothly. haha, fingers crossed.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Generally, you can wait until they are potty training at night to switch them from a crib if they are not climbing out of their crib. My first, I switched far too early. She was 20 months old when we moved her out of the crib. My second never used a crib. My third will be in his crib until he is either climbing out, or is potty training at night.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• First of all.let me be clear! There r no rules as to what age a child should be in a regular bed. My son was in a big boy bed at 2 y/o. Some people go by if your child is climbing out of the crib regularly then the child is ready for a big boy bed. I think people move the child from the crib for safety reasons!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2011