How did you find your pediatrician?

Is it any good?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 10:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I found my pediatrician via recommendation from my ob, who delivered right before I got pregnant, and who also took her kids to see this doctor. The way I figured it, if my doc sends her kids to this pediatrician, then by golly my kids are alright with her.

My pediatrician works in a team setting, so even if I cant' see her, I can rely on one of her colleagues to see my child. I've seen 2 of them so far, and they're all great. It's nice knowing that I can get access to reliable medical care regardless of whether my pediatrician is available or not.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I used the pediatrician that was closest to my home. I thought that'd be a good idea, the closer the better, you know? Well, it wasn't that great. They were very pushy and didn't like to let you think that you as a parent got to have any say. (Maybe some people like being told by their doctor exactly what they are going to do when, but I do not.)
    I got some other recommendations from friends and met with a doctor a lot further away. He was a much better fit for us. He actually isn't a pediatrician, but is a family doctor. I first met with him without the kids to see if I like his approach to medicine. We talked, and then I switched.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I brought my oldest dd to a clinic that had several (about 10+) docs and I always made an appointment without requesting a certain doctor. Then one time we had this amazing doc and I've always requested him since.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• personal recommendation from a friend
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Recommendations from friends that had the same one. My son's pediatrician is amazing. I will be sad to leave him, but my son is 14 and isn't so comfortable at the pediatricians anymore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• She was the first one in the phone book, but it must have been meant to be, because yes, she is great!
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 3:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• my orginal ped in my orginal state where i delivered was my little cousins ped but he was booked up so i just got osmeone in his practice. so i ended up seeing him twice and then the female ped before i move out of state. then i got the current ped from my hairdresser then has like 5kids that all go there. they have a practice with more then one doctor. i have seen i think three other ped in the practices but i like hers the best. he is very understanding and straight forward and takes his time to explain and answer any questions or concerns.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I looked online and asked around to see who friends would recommed. Then I made appointments with 3 doctors I thought would be a good choice, and interview them. I asked each doctor questions about how long they had been a pedi, and other questions. Each doctor was really great in working with me to find a pedi. I'm very happy with the pedi I choose for my kids, and he has been our doctor for the past 4 years since DS was born.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• We have always taken our daughter to our family doctor

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2011