My son is having a hard time....

pooping. :/ This seems to happen frequently but i have tried in every meal to push some kind of fiber food to keep him regular. Most mornings he won't hardly eat anything for breakfast but i have found he will eat a granola bar. Is this okay to let him eat in the morning? I give him the oats and honey kind. My son his 2. If you have anything other than granola bar for breakfast idea please let me know. he doesn't like fresh fruit much and wont hardly eat much cereal. Eggs are a no go with him and oatmeal has a texture that he doesn't like :/

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 20 months old and her eats those oats and honey granola bars for snacks and sometimes for breaskfast. They also have these breast pizzas, they are whole wheat, yogurt, granola and fruit...my son had a hard time pooping, we just started giving him more juice and pushing the fruits on him (oranges seems to always help) If you have more questions just send me a message!
    Lyndsey250

Answer by Lyndsey250 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It can mean he is not having enough liquid. It can cause problem with pooping. I wasn1t really sure how did you manage to start with problems with pooping and ended up with cereal bars. But yeah...

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• have u tried apple juice?
    i know as soon as i give my son apple juice its shit city!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• He should drink plenty of water too
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Give him apple juice he will go regularly. U can try grape juic too. But, apple juice would be the first choice.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Granola bars have a lot of sugar. If they are helping to keep him regular, that I don't see a big problem with it - especially if his diet balances out over the rest of the day. There are better things you could be doing. Apple juice has pectin which can help some peolpe go but can also slow them down. Prune juice can help. Dairy (milk, yogurt, ice cream cheese, etc.) is constipating so don't offer more than 4 servings per day. DD has had problems for years with this. She's even gotten blocked up (encopresis). We give her Miralax and Benefiber on the advice of her GI doctor. Fluids will help to keep things soft and flowing. Go for 24 - 30 ounces per day and keep in mind that milk has a lot of solids, so 8 ounces count as 6 ounces of fluid.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• How long has this been going on? Has anything recently changed in his diet? If the increase in fiber rich foods doesn't make much of a difference, speak to the doctor about a possible fiber supplement. I know that when my son started having problems with his bowels, I cut out most of the obvious sources of dairy, and added a small amount of Benefiber to his drink once a day, and it helped a great deal. He'd never had problems with dairy before that either, but now I limit his dairy to a small amount/none, and it makes a difference.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• And yes, I agree that he may need more liquid. Try offering another serving or two of water.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• No dairy
    Lots of water

Stick with whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and legumes

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• Pear juice is also excellent if he likes that better, and pears. Some kids like pears a lot better than other fruit.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 7:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2011