WHAT IS THE RIGHT AGE TO TALK TO YOUR KIDS ABOUT SEX?

HI, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE EXPECTING OUR 3RD CHILD..AND MY 8 SOON TO BE 9 YEAR OLD ASKED WHERE DID THE BABY COME FROM...HE SAYS AND IMMA QUOTE " I KNOW BABIES ARE IN YOUR STOMACH AND THEY COME OUT, BUT HOW DO THEY ACTUALLY GET IN THERE"....WELL I DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO SAY...I DONT WANNA LIE TO HIM BUT I JUS DONT FEEL LIKE HE IS READY FOR THAT TYPE OF CONVERSATION YET....WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

kutekel19

Asked by kutekel19 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell them. By this age, I am surprised that they haven't already heard about sex and what happens from kids at school.

My DD (3.5) already knows what sex is. Not in great detail butI feel that the more knowledge that she had, the less mystery is involved and maybe I can prolong the time before she has sex.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My dd asked when she was 6. I told her without lying. I didn't get right down to the exact details of how it works but she got the idea. She is now 11 and has asked more questions over the years and she definately get it now. My mom was always honest with us at an early age and I didn't get pregnant in high school, get an std, or become a slut so I figured why not....
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• There are really good books about sex and puberty for ages from 8. You can find a lot on the internet. I would just try to find a good one and read it with the children. It helps you out and the kid will be well educated on an age appropriate way. No more bees and flowers. :P Yaaaaaaaaaaaay:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• If he is asking it is time... There are ways to go about it scientifically, so it doesn't seem so dirty? My eldest son was around 10 when my husband sat down with what we'd prepared.

~*Smiles*~ The pictures online concerning diseases keeps my 15 year old son a virgin, plus we'd explained to him CA laws (a male can be placed on a birth certificate, never know, and if he doesn't get a DNA test by second birthday, he's stuck even if proven later to not be his)...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Just tell him the truth.. its not secret to hide. Don't go all Porno conversation. Just stick to the facts.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Tell him the truth. When my five year old asked the same question, we told her the answer.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• I would invole the peditrican or get advice from family.
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011