We saw this on the news..Elton John's family photo covered up. My daughter asked this...

Why are those two men holding a baby? Are they married or something? Then she said that is just weird.

How do you explain to your children about the gay community, and how we are all different?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 11:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have told my kids that you don't always choose who to love; and sometimes men fall in love with each other. They don't think it's weird or creepy, just different. Kids understand love, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• How does your tween not know about homosexuality yet?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• My five year old and a 6 year old I was taking care of were fighting on whether or not a girl could merry girl or a boy could merry a boy. Luckily my daughter was on the side of equality. I explained to them that sometimes a woman will fall in love with a woman and merry her or the same goes with men. I told them it was rarer than a man and a woman getting married but it still happens often enough.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 11:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Be honest with her. "Some people are attracted to the same gender. Whereas other people are attracted to the opposite gender." It's that simple, then answer her questions as she comes up with them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I tell them straight up. Yes they are gay and even though you have not been raised to agree with it some people do and that is fine. You wont change their minds, so just realize you will run into people like this. There is no need to be weird about it. If someone says something that makes you uncomfortable then yes say something, otherwise mind your own business.

Answer by gemgem at 11:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You tell her that they are a gay couple who decided to give a baby a home filled with love. It is NOT weird. Teach your daughter EMPATHY and that being different is ok, it is not bad or wrong. Do you look EXACTLY like your daughter? EVERYONE is different in some way. You talk to her about how it is ok to love whomever you please, as long as it is a respectful relationship. You show her that people are different. Some people have brown hair, some have red. Some have blue eyes some have green. Some have white skin, some have brown skin. Some like the opposite sex some like the same sex. Some are athletic some are not. Some are musical some are not. You get the idea, right. Your daughter is plenty old enough to know that people are different and understand differences.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It is not weird. It just is.

Just tell her that families come in different ways. As long as everyone loves each other, it doesn't matter what way the family is formed.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I answered her telling her about the differences in families. My dd does know about the gay community. I ask this question out of curiosity to get your ideas.
    Noosa

Comment by Noosa (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I've never had a problem with and don't see what is so complicated. I explained it to my kids when they were preschool/toddler age. Some boys like boys, some girls like girls. End of story. They think it's icky...then again they think boy/girl relationships are just as icky, lol. They don't care either way.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2011